Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #1 
Draug Isilme

Snails in my tank >.<

Recently, I've been noticing little spots on my tank walls- I've been trying to figure what they are exactly, but I believe one has gotten big enough to where it looks like a tiny snail. I have a mystery snail in there, only one and I just recently found out it's a she (she's laid eggs on the ceiling of my tank hood).... but from what I understand from mystery snails is they're NOT hermaphrodites and you need a pair to breed them.. which I don't.... I do have plants in there, the most recent plant being duckweed- which has been sitting in my tank for over a month now and I thought because of that that I was good to go as far as snails go... anyway... I'd like to get rid of the snails, but I'm not quite sure how to go about it without harming my other snail, fish, and plants... any suggestions? I know I can squish them, but I really don't like the idea of squishing them when I've got another snail in there I'm so fond of atm >.<
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:05 AM   #2 
Draug Isilme

Okay, nvrm, it looks like the little jerks are eating my wisteria, so I have no quarrels squishing them now!!!

Last edited by Sakura8; 02-24-2012 at 04:40 PM. Reason: language
Old 02-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #3 
Silverfang

Are the eggs just a gelatinous blob? Or does it look like small orange or pink dots in blob?

Females can store sperm, so you can get one and up to six months later she can lay viable eggs. If you don't want them to hatch, just scrape them off.

A trap and remove method is probably what you want. A piece of lettuce is used to lure them into feeding overnight. Then in the morning you pull it out, and it should be covered with snails.

If this is an issue with a mystery/apple snail, Lupin is your man.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:13 AM   #4 
Draug Isilme

Jesus.. did not know that about apple snails... -.- It's been about 6 months- I've never noticed her to lay eggs until recently- although I find it a little odd that they're eating my plants since she's the type that doesn't eat live plants.....
But yeah, I'll try the baiting/trapping method. Although, I'm kinda worried that they're gonna be more interested in my aquatic plants than the lettuce... Is the lettuce more appetizing somehow?
If the lettuce thing doesn't do the trick, I'll see about hitting up Lupin- unless he happens to reply to this thread beforehand xD
Old 02-22-2012, 10:19 AM   #5 
Silverfang

Therebare other methods, but I thought you'd appreciate the humane way.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:20 AM   #6 
Draug Isilme

I definitely like the humane way better ^.^ Um... Is it possible to use something else other than lettuce, though? I don't have any at the moment, but I have spinach, carrots, potatoes, and a few more things on hand... but not lettuce -.-
Old 02-22-2012, 10:29 AM   #7 
Draug Isilme

Wait, after some more digging around my fridge, I found some lettuce! We're good! ^.^; I got a tiny spray bottle I had (it's only been used for water), rinsed it out like crazy and added some lettuce. *crosses fingers* Here's to hoping >.< I'll probably change my tank water, too, and see about finding some by hand..... I don't like killing things, but dang it, I've spend too much time, effort, and money in trying to get my tank set and running the way I wanted it to >.<
Old 02-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #8 
FishyFishy89

I've given baby snails to pet stores
You can also advertise them on your local CL "free baby snails" Some people may feed them to their fish or may just wanna have a cute/easy baby animal.
lol cute xD
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #9 
Draug Isilme

I wouldn't mind doing that, but I'm really not sure what kind of snails they are- so I'd feel bad if I were giving away snails that people would want to use as pets and then wind up with something more on their hands, ya know? Plus I don't have any kind of set up to keep them in other than my 5g and while I have plants, I don't want the bioload to get out of hand nor do I want them eating my plants, either....
Oh, and I forgot to answer your question, Silver, they're not soft they're really hard and they're pink- so I'm pretty sure those are my mystery snail's eggs. I'm about 80% sure that the other snails aren't from her and it was from the duckweed I got. I got it shipped in the mail over aquabid and like an idiot after 3 or so days of quarantining I added it to my tank -.-.... Never again >.<
Old 02-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #10 
Geomancer

Pond, Ramshorn, and Malaysian Trumpet Snails (MTS) are the usual 'pest' snails.

Personally though ... I don't see them as a problem. I actually purposely went out looking for MTS to add to my aquariums since the burrow into the substrate and will keep it aerated.

They will not 'explode' in numbers unless there is abundant food available, and typically snails will only eat dead, or dying plant mater. Their population can be controlled by not over feeding.

The trap method mentioned is viable, you do not need to put it into a container of some sort, just reach in and throw the chunk of vegetable away in the morning before the lights turn on. Cucumber works pretty well.

Whatever you do, do not buy a 'fish' to take care of them, like a clown loach. They're a schooling fish and aggressive, a 5g is no where close to big enough for them. Dwarf puffers also eat snails, but can not be kept with Bettas.

You can buy an Assassin Snail to help, but they do not eat huge numbers of snails.
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote