Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2012, 11:05 AM   #1 
Amba1027

Is my tank big enough for anything else?

Hi everyone. I currently have my betta in a 3.5 gallon tank and I was wondering if it is big enough for any other fish to be added. I want to get a bigger tank but my boyfriend doesn't want anything bigger in our apartment so for now I'm stuck with the 3.5 gallon. I feel like my betta might enjoy the company so I wanted to get a few friends for him but I don't want to crowd the tank. Any ideas or suggestions? Or should I just wait til I can have a bigger tank?
Amba1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #2 
Geomancer

I'm afraid you do not have room for anything else, you will need a 10 gallon and even then your choices are limited to substrate fish.

Betta's, by and large, do not make good community fish and they will become particularly aggressive to any colorful fish. Substrate fish are, again generally, ignored by betta's but personalities do vary.
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:39 PM   #3 
Amba1027

Thanks for your reply. I figured I would have to wait but thought I'd ask. What are substrate fish?
Old 02-22-2012, 02:44 PM   #4 
Geomancer

Fish who stay on the bottom and scavenge. These are typically catfish and loaches. Some of the most popular are cory catfish and oto catfish (one or the other, not both, they are each schooling and need proper numbers). Plecos usually get too large for these size aquariums. Loaches usually also need more than a 10 gallon, and care has to be taken in what species as some loaches are fin nippers.
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:51 PM   #5 
Amba1027

Ok thanks. I wanted to get corys so I guess once I can get a bigger tank that will be good.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:53 PM   #6 
CarmanDirda

My bettas do okay with mollies, mickey mouse platys and the like, but your tank isn't large enough for anything but maybe some small shrimp (I have ghost shrimp help keep their tanks clean). It also depends on personality, too. My betta, Jewel, will eat any shrimp with her, but the rest of my bettas do fine with their ghostly partners.

If you want anything, all I really suggest for that tank is 1-3 ghost shrimp. They're interesting little critters and helpful to boot. You'll just have to buy some algea wafers and feed them every other day (sometimes every 3 days if they don't eat it all) and be careful about adding them to newer tanks. There's no bacteria or algea buildup in new tanks, and they may not survive.
CarmanDirda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #7 
Thebettaqueen

From what I learned though experience, The ghost shrimp tend to be tail bitters. I had a Cory in a 55 gallon tank and about four ghost shrimp along side him. I realized the little guys mistakened Freddy for food and nommed away his poor fins. Lucky for him, I managed to get the shrimp out of there and into their own tank.

Freddy lived about 6 years without a portion of his and then I think old age got the poor fella. I was thinking about Ghost shrimp, but I fear for my bettas. Though, it was probably a stupid move on my part. Try them out and keep an eye out for your betta's tail.
Thebettaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #8 
CarmanDirda

It really depends on the fish and shrimp personalities and amounts of aggression. I've never had shrimp do that to my fish, but I've heard of others who have. When you add anything new to a tank you should always keep an eye out, though. ;)
CarmanDirda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #9 
LittleBeta

In my tank I have Guppies and neon tetras that, when you get a bigger tank, you can add in! My Guppies actuly avoid my male Betta, they know he's the boss!
LittleBeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #10 
Amba1027

Thank you everyone. You have been very helpful. So say I got a 10 gallon, what how many fish could I fit in there?