Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2012, 07:01 PM   #1 
labloverl

How much to feed?

I finally got a new betta, and I'm happy to see that he actually knows how to eat pellets. The last never did figure it out. So, how much do I need to feed him? Also, is it normal for the tip of the top fin to curl over? I'm not sure what kind he is, and I don't want to stress him out by taking pictures, but the top fin does stay curled over at the tip. He was in a little cup when I got him, so maybe the tiny space had something to do with it?
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:25 PM   #2 
vermax

What kind of pellets are you feeding him? I have a few brands, and they're all different sizes.

As for the dorsal fin (I assume that's what you mean by 'top fin'), if it's curving in an arch downward to the betta's body, that's normal, especially for veiltails. They're very flowy fish. The dorsal fin isn't supposed to stick up straight on veiltails, but does on halfmoons and deltas. It really depends on what tail type your fish is.
vermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:11 PM   #3 
labloverl

The food brand in Aqua Culture.

I think he is a veiltail, but it's different from the last veiltail I had. The tail on this new guy is more spade shaped, but it's longer than the pics I've seen of a spade tail betta. It looks a bit like the one is this picture, but his dorsal and bottom fins are not nearly as full. And the tip of the dorsal fin stays curled over. It doesn't flow back out at any time.
http://www.google.com/imgres?start=2...zoom=1&chk=sbg
Old 02-23-2012, 10:02 PM   #4 
vermax

With those pellets, I would say maybe 2-3 per meal, with 2 meals a day. What percentage protein do they have? With bettas, it's important to make sure that the food has a high percentage of protein, around 40%. In addition, the first ingredient should be some type of fish, not meal. Make sure to check to see if your betta is getting good nutrition.

As for the fin, without pictures, I can't say for sure. If he's swimming around and acting fine, I wouldn't worry about it. If you do post pictures, I'm sure someone can help you.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:59 PM   #5 
labloverl

Okay, the protein is 40% but the first ingredient is fish meal

Here's a pic of "Sawyer."

My other betta's have never had their dorsal fin fixed in that position at the top.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #6 
vermax

Sorry it took me so long to reply.

It's a veiltail, and a healthy one at that. He looks great :D
The food you have has a good amount of protein, but if you're looking for one with better ingredients, I'd recommend either New Life Spectrum Betta formula or Omega One Betta Buffet pellets.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #7 
labloverl

No problem. :)

Thanks! I spent a long time picking one out that didn't have and discoloration. He has a little under his jaw line? but he does seem healthy. He wasn't even stressed by being moved, and wanted to eat right away. I'm getting attached to the active fellow. I'll look for the food you mentioned.