Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #1 
SecretStich

Exclamation How many baby fish in one tank?

just wondering...slight issue
How many baby bettas in one tank?

Last edited by SecretStich; 02-27-2012 at 11:09 AM. Reason: I want this to be more official i guess....
SecretStich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:04 AM   #2 
EmilyN

Here's a sticky about what fry eat.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=51144

Last edited by EmilyN; 02-27-2012 at 11:11 AM.
EmilyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #3 
Draug Isilme

Wait.. Why'd we have a question about how many betta fry should be in a tank and have a reply to what they eat? o.o.... *shrugs* Anyway! From what I recall, the minimum size tank you should have for betta fry is 20 gallons- You want a good sized tank so that it can heat properly, have fantastic water quality, and let them have room to grow out and be healthy little guys. I cant' really say how many per gallon as I've never taken care of fry before... but to me it seems like you would want to have a pretty good sized tank regardless... You should look at the stickies in the breeding section and maybe ask questions there and/or look through threads of other peoples baby betta's. Usually if you're not UBER diligent with the care and responsibility of them and don't have the right conditions, you will have dead fry on your hands.
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:12 PM   #4 
Myates

Bettas lay hundreds of eggs, but not all will live to adulthood- the father (before being removed) and the breeder will cull the numbers down. As mentioned, 20 is the minimum recommended for a grow out tank.. don't forget the hundred+ jars for the males once they start getting aggressive.

Did you not know how many babies can be born? Or did you just add in a male and female and didn't think much ahead? Either way, let us know and we can help you.. breeding isn't easy and can be quite expensive..
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #5 
EmilyN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draug Isilme View Post
Wait.. Why'd we have a question about how many betta fry should be in a tank and have a reply to what they eat? o.o.... *shrugs*

Because the question changed from "what do babies even eat?" to "what exactly do I do now?" to finally "how many should be in a tank?"
Old 02-27-2012, 06:32 PM   #6 
EmilyN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Did you not know how many babies can be born? Or did you just add in a male and female and didn't think much ahead? Either way, let us know and we can help you.. breeding isn't easy and can be quite expensive..
The posters original comment said that they already had baby bettas swimming around 'sooner than expected'. The post was edited at least twice.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:36 PM   #7 
Draug Isilme

Oooh, okay. I guess I came in at the final edit >.>... random
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:36 PM   #8 
Myates

I see.. looks like the OP was attempting to spawn without much research/knowledge.. which can be dangerous and deadly.

I would suggest the OP start a thread in the breeding section with questions regarding breeding, as well as read the stickies.. I would also suggest letting us know what exactly is happening, and how, so we can better help. We're not here to judge, but would rather help you (OP) and the babies if possible.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #9 
EmilyN

Well, seeing as the OP doesn't have any food for them, I'm not too optimistic for the fry.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #10 
Myates

It happens.. people don't realize what exactly it involves and it can get over whelming quite easily/quickly if they don't do the proper research. All we can do is offer advice and help..