Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2012, 01:31 PM   #1 
Karebear13

New Fish Behavior

How do new fish behave when you fist buy them?

My new fish yesterday was all happy in his new tank swimming around, and then at night he just moped around all night hiding in his cave and only coming out to breathe. Today he is just laying around barely moving. I can't think of any reason he would be sick, so I was just wondering if other people have this same type of behavior
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:06 PM   #2 
CarmanDirda

Watch carefully for signs of illness, and be sure to have his tank the right temperature, and water clean. My dragonscale Apollo was like that, but warmed up again a few days later. Some fish are just more reserved, like people. Just be watching him closely until he begins to be more active again.

Do you have things for him to do? Plants to hide in or play with, things for him to explore or interact with? I sometimes put small toy figures up to the tank and "play" with them. It's helped a few of my shy rescues come out of their shells.
CarmanDirda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:47 PM   #3 
Karebear13

Oh that makes me feel better since he is a dragon. Hopefully he is just like yours. He has clean water temperature 79 degrees. Yeah I have a few things in there. Soon I will have some nice live plants once they are done be quarintined. He still ate this morning which makes me feel comforted.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:00 PM   #4 
callistra

How did you acclimate him?

What is the source of the water and what additives did you use?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:26 PM   #5 
Karebear13

I left him floating in the cup in the water for two hours. then slowly added some of the tank water to his tank and removed the old water from his cup. Did this about three times taking out about 2 tbs each time and adding 2 tbs of clean water.

I use tap water and I started using Prime (heard it was good). I also have Aqueon betta bowl plus on hand if I should switch to that?
Old 02-22-2012, 05:49 PM   #6 
callistra

Sounds like you acclimated ok. Prime should take care of anything.. 2 drops per gallon, yes?

What size tank does he have and what heater are you using? Does the temp change at all or is it always a steady 79, even at night?

ETA: You didn't put the new guy in the 2g that your last guy died in did you? Use the same stuff over? What, if anything, did you reuse and how did you sterilize?

Last edited by callistra; 02-22-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:56 PM   #7 
Karebear13

It seems steady the heater has a a temperature adjustment thing so when it starts going down it turns on and keeps it steady. Its the Top Fin submersible heater. The tank is the same two gallon I had for Rufio. I cleaned it good though. For a week I had hot water in it then I used bleach to disinfect I cleaned it so many times after to make sure no bleach remained. Even after i thought it was okay I still rinsed it. I reused the tank and the cave. I disinfect the cave with bleach too but I got paranoid so I removed it today. The heater is new too.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:58 PM   #8 
Karebear13

Here is a picture. He has just been like this all day
Old 02-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #9 
callistra

So to disinfect with bleach you would do a 10% solution.. or in your case there are 32 cups in your bowl. So you would put 3-4 cups of bleach along with the rest water and soak at least 10 min before rinsing? Then you should be good on disinfecting.. the rocks are new too?

Cave wasn't good to bleach as it's porous and can trap the bleach then release it back into the water.. Just to be safe, I would do a good size water change now and add some extra prime to be safe. You can add up to 4 drops per gallon so in your case you can add up to 8 drops safely. 4 drops would be standard. See if this perks him up..

Just to be clear, he hasn't moved from that position all day except to eat?
Old 02-22-2012, 06:07 PM   #10 
Karebear13

Okay Should I do a 50% water change?

Yes the gravel is new too