Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2012, 03:10 AM   #91 
Karebear13

So I always wanted a ghost shrimp to be a little companion with my betta but my other two bettas seemed too aggressive and I figured they would eat the poor little guy. Benz seems pretty mellow and never flares! So im thinking he may be a good choice to try and house a ghost shrimp with. Im gonna give him a few weeks to adjust to his home before I add in the ghost shrimp. Plus wait for the QT plants to be put in the tank so that the poor little shrimp can hide in case he is scared.

Do I have to QT the shrimp before adding him? And is there any way to tell if Benz will eat him before I put him in the tank? I really don't want him to eat him. I know its nature but I can't stand the idea of sacrificing a poor little shrimp
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:13 AM   #92 
ANHEL123

I am completely agree with Sena. One of my fish tail bitter and his tail get healed so fast with water changes. I do a lot of water changes though i think. I do 1-50% and 1-100% every 5 days.

Also with betta i think you never know they can be absolutely fine at the beginning and get territorial later. So i think there is a risk when you introduce a new tank mate to your betta that they won’t get along:)
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #93 
Sena Hansler

What I suggst when adding anything new to a betta (shrimo, fish, snails) is to do a water change, take the betta out, rearrange everything, put the critter in, then maybe 15-30 minutes later reintroduce the betta (you can have him floating for the 15-30 minutes). Therefore it is not HIS territory, everything is different, and the shrimp was there FIRST.

Doesn't always work as we know there is no fool proof anything for our fishies lol!! But will make it easier.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:07 PM   #94 
Karebear13

Okay that sounds like a good plan. Should I wait to put the plants till I get the shrimp then that way the tank will look totally new to Benz? The plants still have two weeks left to be in Qt. Should I Qt the shrimp too?
Old 02-27-2012, 01:08 PM   #95 
Karebear13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
I am completely agree with Sena. One of my fish tail bitter and his tail get healed so fast with water changes. I do a lot of water changes though i think. I do 1-50% and 1-100% every 5 days.

Also with betta i think you never know they can be absolutely fine at the beginning and get territorial later. So i think there is a risk when you introduce a new tank mate to your betta that they won’t get along:)
Yeah I think with water changes he will get better and healthier. He already looks bigger. How big is your tank?
Old 02-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #96 
ANHEL123

The tank that i am talking about 2.5 gall. My other tanks 2.5 gall and i do 1-50% and 1-100% once a wk. I also have one 5 gall which i do 50% every wk and 100% every 3 weeks :)
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #97 
Sena Hansler

Quarantine the plants, and the shrimp as well. Although I have never heard of snails, shrimps or similar critters carrying stuff like velvet, ich, etc, it is still in the best interest of everyone lol. Plants however carry pest snail eggs, black hair algae, angel's hair, fungi, etc so definitely keep them in quarantine.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:36 PM   #98 
Karebear13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
The tank that i am talking about 2.5 gall. My other tanks 2.5 gall and i do 1-50% and 1-100% once a wk. I also have one 5 gall which i do 50% every wk and 100% every 3 weeks :)
Okay. That is what Im going to do One 50% and one 100% every week :)
Old 02-27-2012, 01:37 PM   #99 
Karebear13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Quarantine the plants, and the shrimp as well. Although I have never heard of snails, shrimps or similar critters carrying stuff like velvet, ich, etc, it is still in the best interest of everyone lol. Plants however carry pest snail eggs, black hair algae, angel's hair, fungi, etc so definitely keep them in quarantine.
Yeah I was told three weeks for the plants to be in QT. If they carry stuff is it gonna go away or how would I know if they are safe?

How long should I qt the shrimp?
Old 02-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #100 
Sena Hansler

the shrimp probably 1-2 weeks. Get him from a healthy tank - healthy plants in the tank, minimal algae, no dead or sick fish, etc. The plants are 2-3 weeks I believe