Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2012, 01:07 PM   #101 
Karebear13

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. To promote fin growth you can use some aquarium salt.. 1 tablespoon per 5 gallon, which comes out to a little over half a teaspoon her gallon. You can do this for up to 2 weeks and your bettas will have zero stress from this. Predissolve it before adding.
If I wanted to add the salt to promote fin growth would I just add one teaspoon for the two gallon tank. How often would I add it to the tank?
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #102 
Karebear13

oh no. He seems to have a little white speck. God I hope its not Ich I can't really tell whether it is or not.
What should I do just keep an eye on it or add some aq salt. I don't understand how he could have gotten it since everything is brand new in the tank. Hopefully its not Ich :(
Old 02-27-2012, 02:31 PM   #103 
Sena Hansler

Ich is almost always in the tank as an unseen and dormant micro-critter. It can find it's host in smaller units of water (2 gallon vs a 20 gallon), and attacks when the host is stressed (stress lowers immunity).

Pre-dissolve AQ salt, and add. Yes, 1 tsp for your tank should do it, plus it will help with any possible ich. You'll want to siphon the bottom of the tank each day now to avoid any breeding ich at the bottom. Bring the water temperature to 80-85 if you can. (not only will your betta love 80 degrees but the ich will speed up the process, drop off, and the AQ will dehydrate and kill it!)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #104 
ANHEL123

Oh no are sure can you post a picture? You sure you are not overreacting? Last time he looked so healthy :(
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:30 PM   #105 
Karebear13

Im not positive I hope Im a just overreacting. He won't let me take a picture he is too fast for me. He seems alright health wise. He just has a sketchy white speck whit i hope isn't ich. But it wouldn't hurt to add some aq salt for a few weeks even if it isn't ich would it? I increased the temperature to about 81 degrees.

How often should I add in salt?

I don't have anything to siphon the gravel with. Is there something else I can do to clean the gravel?
Old 02-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #106 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karebear13 View Post
Im not positive I hope Im a just overreacting. He won't let me take a picture he is too fast for me. He seems alright health wise. He just has a sketchy white speck whit i hope isn't ich. But it wouldn't hurt to add some aq salt for a few weeks even if it isn't ich would it? I increased the temperature to about 81 degrees.

How often should I add in salt?

I don't have anything to siphon the gravel with. Is there something else I can do to clean the gravel?
When I didnt have my siphon I would pour the gravel into a strainer/rinsed with hot water and then rinse again with cold water. Using my hand to stir around the gravel.
I would recommend getting a siphon. The smaller ones aren't that expensive at all/they are a god send in cleaning gravel.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11123493
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:53 PM   #107 
Karebear13

Yeah I was gonna buy one soon. I obviously need to get one for my 20 gallon tank that I will be setting up this summer. Is there one that I can get for both tanks like would a medium size one work. Or would a small one not be good for the 20 gallon tank? The smallest the better cause its probably cheaper and Im on a small budget.

So Benz is kind of a weirdo. All day I have been raising the temperature by one degree to get to 80. He is used to 77 degrees. But once it finally hit 80 after slowly raising it he was acting so strange. He was just hiding in his little hut looking all sad and wouldn't come out. Then when I lowered it back to 77 slowly he was all happy swimming around. Could it be he doesn't like high temperature? I want to raise it so if what he has is ich will die but he acts so strange
Old 02-27-2012, 09:06 PM   #108 
FishyFishy89

They do have a medium one
i believe you can see it on the link i had posted.

The way he is acting maybe because he got used to the 77F?
Old 02-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #109 
Karebear13

Would the small one be okay for the 20 gallon one though. Thank you for the link btw!
Old 02-27-2012, 09:33 PM   #110 
FishyFishy89

if it's not tall, it should work just fine.
I have the VERY original gravel vacuum. One that you have to fill completely to start the vacuum.
my 75 gallon vacuum has to be shaken up n down in the water, I maybe replacing that one cause I get water everywhere during water changes.
And the newer ones have a pump that you squeeze several times to start the vacuum....pretty nefty ;)