Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2012, 02:46 AM   #111 
mathkid

I have the kind with the check valve -- that's the kind that says to shake it up and down -- but you can also put your hand over the end (to feel better about hygiene) and suck to get the flow started.
mathkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:11 AM   #112 
Karebear13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathkid View Post
I have the kind with the check valve -- that's the kind that says to shake it up and down -- but you can also put your hand over the end (to feel better about hygiene) and suck to get the flow started.
Thanks. Where did you get yours at?
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:12 AM   #113 
mathkid

I got mine at Pet Club - it's a California chain that has slightly better prices than the regular pet stores. But they sell them at Petco and Petsmart... pretty much everywhere.
mathkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:14 AM   #114 
Karebear13

So I have been trying to get a pic all day of the white speck and no success. Its so small and it blends with his scaling unless you see it in person. I really hope its not ICH. Im supposed to be doing a 50% water change tomorrow. I wanted to add in some aq salt... any suggestions when doing the water change.

How often should I add new salt?

Also I plan on buying a siphon this weekend. I wish I could sooner but I have no transportation until the weekend :( Should I wait to do the aq until i have the siphon
Old 02-28-2012, 03:15 AM   #115 
Karebear13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathkid View Post
I got mine at Pet Club - it's a California chain that has slightly better prices than the regular pet stores. But they sell them at Petco and Petsmart... pretty much everywhere.
Oh okay Im in Ca. Maybe I can find one. The only problem is I don't have a car and don't know anyone with a car so I basically can only go to Petsmart cause that is the closest thing by bus
Old 02-28-2012, 03:29 AM   #116 
Karebear13

This was the best I could do. Its at his head the white thing. . His behavior is fine and he seems healthy and happy, so I don't know if I should just leave him alone

Last edited by Karebear13; 02-28-2012 at 03:39 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #117 
Sena Hansler

I cannot really tell if it is ich or not... Maybe someone else can tell. If it falls off in a few days, and more appear it is definitely ich. Spartan had one spot before and I just turned the heat up, siphoned the bottom... it went away

As for the siphons... I want the pump one I have the "shake up and down" but it doesn't work very well so you have to suck to siphon.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #118 
ANHEL123

I just recommend to wait and not add aquarium salt if you are not sure what it is. I can’t really say what it is. You think he didn’t have it before?
When you are using aquarium salt it should be right dosage and right duration or it not going to help. Also if you continue to add aq salt on regular basis it doesn’t prevent disease or parasites and long term use can cause resistant pathogens/parasites issues and kidney damage…and long term non-therapeutic dosage can limit it ability to work for treatment when needed.
I actually have saved directions how to treat ICH from Oldfishlady. I am going to post it just in case.

ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #119 
Karebear13

yeah I am going to wait. Im gonna try and turn the temperature up a little and siphon the gravel.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:18 PM   #120 
ANHEL123

I just found post that i had from Oldfishlady. I will post everything. I think at the end of the instruction you will find information what to do with filter which you don't need it. I just post everything because i was afraid to miss something

It hard to tell if it is ich..even without aquarium salt if it is ich you can still treat…although salt can help to a degree with killing the parasite and prevention of secondary infection from the wounds the parasite leaves when it detaches from the fish…fresh clean dechlorinate water and water changes can do the same thing in most cases

With bettas I like to do the two cup method to treat Ich…the small container you have him in work great for this especially if you have two of them…float him the QT in a heated tank and slowly get the temp up to the 85-86F range…float the second cup with fresh dechlorinated water in the heated tank so it comes to temp and net the fish each day and move to the fresh like temp dechlorinated water-dump the first cups water-rinse with hot water and let it air dry…about an hour before the next daily water change fill the cup up with fresh dechlorinated water and float in the heated tank to come to temp and net the fish and move to that QT cup….do this every day for at least 3 days past the last day you could see any parasites on the fish

You can’t kill ich while it is on the fish without killing the fish…raising the water temp will speed the life cycle of the Ich and it will help make the Ich off the fish faster so you can manually remove the Ich from the tank/container the fish is in

By air drying the net and container between uses will kill any Ich that may be on it

Temp over 86F and the Ich is said to stop reproducing and some even say it will kill the Ich

You want to treat for at least 3 days past the last day you could see the ich on the fish to make sure you got the ones that may be hiding in the gill area.

Would still use the two container method..you goal with Ich is to remove it manually from the container once it falls off the fish and the small QT containers work well for this…

If you use the salt-I would pre mix it in a clean 1gal jug (I use an old clean 1 gall milk jug) add 1 tsp/gallon of water (and dechlorinater if you normally use it)..by pre-mixing this keep the salt dissolved and make the dosage and daily water changes easier too…shake well before use and make sure the water is within a couple or degrees between temps…by floating the second QT container of fresh treatment water in the heated tank about an hour before you make the daily 100% water changes will help ensure equalized temps…be sure and attach the QT containers to the side of the heated tank they are floating in so they don’t sink or the treatment water gets diluted or worse the Ich transfer into the main tank…

Since yur plant is not a rooted type plant..I would just do a full tear down on the tank and clean it well, however, by the time you are done with the Ich treatment in QT…most likely and parasites in the tank will have died without a host..but if the tank has been set up for a while…a good cleaning never hurts and if it’s a new setup it won’t be a loss of good bacteria..easy enough to put the fern in another container that is big enough for the heater and the QT fish to float in to maintain heat so you can let the 2.5 gall , gravel, any decorations,filter and filter media..dry out for at least a day (24h) to be 99.9% sure any parasite in the tank are dead..just a thought..either way will work….and if you have already established the nitrogen cycle in that tank and you don’t want to re start it as long as the filter is still running the organics from the live plant should hold you cycle until the Betta is put back in the tank…you good to go it all in what you want to do…
If you leave it up and running unplug the filter and heater and theb give the substrate a good stir to get all the mulm/debris up in the water column and dip out most of the water refill with fresh dechlorinated water and once the filter is turned back on it should clear within an hour or so..do this daily until you put the Betta back in after the Ich treatment..

I would just leave the tank as it is..the parasites should die off on their own without a host while you have the Betta in QT

ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote