Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-29-2012, 06:02 AM   #131 
Hallyx
Reference Team

All the siphons I've seen are overkill for a small tank, as well as expensive. I just use a 3 foot length of 3/8 OD clear tubing stuck through the bottom of a 1in diameter pill bottle. I put the hole near the edge and make it a tight fit. Then you can tape a long plastic stick (piece of coat hanger?) along the side of the bottle and up on the tubing. Old Fish Lady has a picture of a similar setup that I used for reference.

After some experimentation, I found that this combination of tubing size and pill bottle size gives me enough suction to pull debris out of the gravel without endangering the fish, and it doesn't take too long to siphon. I wouldn't use this on a 20gal (it would take forever), but for my 2.5g it's fine. Total coat $1.50 for the tubing.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:52 AM   #132 
BETTACHKALOVE

When i change them i put them in the see through cup and when i put them back i just add a little bit of new water and then slowly put them in the tank with new water. My water always approximately the same temp +- 2-4*.

I am not sure how you guys do it, but is it ? Do you float them in the bag? Is it possible that he is like that because he was in the bag for 1 hr? Is it anything to do with water being hard? Is it good idea to shake water well and let it stay for 30 min or so before change?

How is he? So sorry. Make me so sad after you did so much and he was so happy...
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #133 
Karebear13

I know it was really stressful to see him like that. He literally looked dead in the gravel. But after fours hours he was perfectly normal again swimming all happy. He is so bipolar I don't get it. Is he gonna do this to me after every water change :(
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:20 AM   #134 
Karebear13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
All the siphons I've seen are overkill for a small tank, as well as expensive. I just use a 3 foot length of 3/8 OD clear tubing stuck through the bottom of a 1in diameter pill bottle. I put the hole near the edge and make it a tight fit. Then you can tape a long plastic stick (piece of coat hanger?) along the side of the bottle and up on the tubing. Old Fish Lady has a picture of a similar setup that I used for reference.

After some experimentation, I found that this combination of tubing size and pill bottle size gives me enough suction to pull debris out of the gravel without endangering the fish, and it doesn't take too long to siphon. I wouldn't use this on a 20gal (it would take forever), but for my 2.5g it's fine. Total coat $1.50 for the tubing.
thanks for the advice!
Old 02-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #135 
Sena Hansler

I got a siphon for 12.00... better than the expensive one I got with my 20 gallon.

You can let water sit over night. This will allow some of the levels to adjust themselves... and will ensure the water is room temperature. You can float him, and adjust him to the water when you add it, just like getting a new fish. Some bettas do not take well to water changes, or slight changes and need extra care and precautions. I also use a square container. It floats, and my boys seem to like it better than a cup or bag
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #136 
ANHEL123

Oh Karebear you scared me i was so sad. My heart hurt lol Glad he is better:)
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #137 
Karebear13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
Oh Karebear you scared me i was so sad. My heart hurt lol Glad he is better:)
Aww Anhel you are too sweet :) He scares me haha. He is so delicate, but Im gonna take Sena's advice and leave water over night
Old 02-29-2012, 10:39 AM   #138 
Sena Hansler

Never know I had to do that before :3 it also helps with chlorine levels, last I heard.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #139 
Karebear13

the only thing is I don't have anything big enough to leave the water overnight. Any suggestions as to where I can get a big bucket that is 2 gallons. I have no problem finding one when I go home but at school its so hard to find one since I don't have a car. I have an unoccupied one gallon tank that I can use but that only covers half the water.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:47 AM   #140 
Sena Hansler

Do you have a large cooking bowl not being used? 8 cups = 1 gallon. That is what I used LOL! Otherwise, go to a bakey. They often discard old buckets used for icing and dough. If you do get one, rinse very very very well with hot water and vinegar mix...