Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #21 
FishyFishy89

has his color gotten better?
He looks like he has gain more blue back.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #22 
Karebear13

He is def. more blue. His behavior doesn't match his appearance because he def. looks healthier. He just doesnt move. When I try to release him into the water he just lets himself sink to the gravel
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #23 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karebear13 View Post
He is def. more blue. His behavior doesn't match his appearance because he def. looks healthier. He just doesnt move. When I try to release him into the water he just lets himself sink to the gravel
He may get better. With him gaining color his health maybe returning.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:01 PM   #24 
Karebear13

would aquarium salt in this case or should I just supervise him?
Old 02-23-2012, 12:16 AM   #25 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
would aquarium salt in this case or should I just supervise him?
I wouldn't add any salt. I believe salt is best left for when you know exactly what is is and how to treat it. But someone else with more experience with aquarium salt would chime in.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:03 AM   #26 
Karebear13

So is it okay to leave him in the little cup overnight? He seems a little bit more active but still pretty still at the bottom of the cup
Old 02-23-2012, 02:02 AM   #27 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
So is it okay to leave him in the little cup overnight? He seems a little bit more active but still pretty still at the bottom of the cup
Just for safety measures I would keep him there til morning. If he's acting better than tonight then I'd release him.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:50 AM   #28 
Myates

I think you have gotten great advice so far.. and have done everything right.
Sometimes new fish have health problems prior to you getting them, and it's hard to diagnose a new fish's illness since there was no symptoms leading up to it that you would of been able to see.

Your advice has been spot on, what I would of recommended. Thanks for bringing this thread to my attention, I will keep an eye on it.

When he goes up for air, does it seem as if he is having trouble swimming? Like struggling hard, possibly tipping ever so slightly? The head down position I don't like, is that how he is constantly, or just for the picture?
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #29 
callistra

If he's better in the cup and out of the tank water then something probably got into the tank. I would suggest breaking down the tank, rinsing everything very very carefully in hot tap water and not returning the cave. However.. you nee to be able to keep him warm. So do you have any place else you can put him in the meantime that's heated? If not then just leave him floating in the cup. Keep slowly changing out the cup water with fresh clean water, several times a day to keep the ammonia down.

I wouldn't add aquarium salt but you might think of adding epsom salts as it help with chemical or other poisoning. You need 1/2 to 1 tsp per gallon.. in the cup you wouldn't be able to measure so you'd need a place you could mix up at least half a gallon of water at a time to get the right dosage of salts.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:35 AM   #30 
Karebear13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
I think you have gotten great advice so far.. and have done everything right.
Sometimes new fish have health problems prior to you getting them, and it's hard to diagnose a new fish's illness since there was no symptoms leading up to it that you would of been able to see.

Your advice has been spot on, what I would of recommended. Thanks for bringing this thread to my attention, I will keep an eye on it.

When he goes up for air, does it seem as if he is having trouble swimming? Like struggling hard, possibly tipping ever so slightly? The head down position I don't like, is that how he is constantly, or just for the picture?
It doesn't look like he has trouble but I noticed he keeps his pelvic fins clamped to his body. He is a lot more wiggly today wanting to go back in the tank but most of the time he does just chill at the bottom of the cup. yesterday he was just sinking like that with his head down and his body would slowly lower but he isn't doing that so much.