Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2012, 03:00 PM   #1 
Bubblebitti

Exclamation Betta starving self for a month.

I have a female betta for about a month. When I first got her I had her in with a guppy who starved herself to death too but that was back when the tank wasn't fully cycled so I pushed it off as my mistake. She was in a 10 gal filtered and heated. The ONLY thing she takes interest in is cooked pea I have to wiggle it and make her chase it just to get her to snap at it, then she spits it back out. Anything else like blood worms, or mosquito larvae, ANY type of pellet... she won't even take a second glance at no mater how much I wiggle it about. She seems perfectly fine aside from her emaciated look (no clamped fins, no curving of spine, no scale loss... or anything like that) and is very active.
Recently I removed her and put her in a gallon bowel since it's much easier to keep track of her and clean in that. I do 100% water daily now. I hope it isn't TB because I have a lot of scratches and cuts on my hands and came in contact with her water everyday... but I really don't think it is... she is showing no other sings of illness besides refusing all food. Like I said this has been going on for a month and I spend an hour each day on her and it is very frustrating. I am very close just to give up on her entirely.
Bubblebitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

Are you watching and hovering over the tank while you're trying to feed her?

Have you tried leaving a pellet or two in the tank and leaving her alone for 20 or so minutes? She might be shy when it comes to eating.

You could also try soaking her food in a little bit of garlic juice for a minute or two to see if she'll take more interest in it.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #3 
Bubblebitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
Are you watching and hovering over the tank while you're trying to feed her?

Have you tried leaving a pellet or two in the tank and leaving her alone for 20 or so minutes? She might be shy when it comes to eating.

You could also try soaking her food in a little bit of garlic juice for a minute or two to see if she'll take more interest in it.
Yup I started out like that thinking she was a shy fish. But I would always come back to the food at the bottom. And it really started to foul up her water. And actually today I started soaking food in garlic juice. Still nothing.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:23 PM   #4 
Pataflafla

Does she poop at all, and does it look regular or is it white.

If it's white and stringy, treat immediately for parasites. You might want to try a parasite treatment either way since some bettas don't want to eat at all when they are infested with parasites.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:29 PM   #5 
Bubblebitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
Does she poop at all, and does it look regular or is it white.

If it's white and stringy, treat immediately for parasites. You might want to try a parasite treatment either way since some bettas don't want to eat at all when they are infested with parasites.
That's the thing I never seen her poop not even once... I recently started to think she is in severely advanced stages of internal parasites... but didn't want treat her if she wasn't... but it seems I have no other options. Guess I'll be off to the store now. Thank you for your replies.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:32 PM   #6 
Tikibirds

supposedly putting the food in garlic juice helps
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:33 PM   #7 
SnowySurface

As far as pellets go, fish really like New Life Spectrum. I've used the small fish formula in the past and my bettas loved it. I have the Betta formula now. If you are really desperate then you can try to soak the pellets in garlic juice and then feed them to her.

You should also stop feeding her peas. Peas are a home remedy for constipation because it helps move food through the digestive system. Feeding an emaciated betta peas is like feeding a emaciated human laxatives. You could be making her weightloss worse when you are trying to help her gain weight.

If your fish is only emaciated then I doubt she has TB if she's been starving for a month. If you are worried about catching something then put bandages over your cuts and pick up dispossible gloves from a pharmacy. The ones in the first aid section are designed to protect someone from catching a disease from an injured person that needs treatment. Even if your cuts are scabbed over the bandages will be a backup barrier incase water does get inside the gloves.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #8 
callistra

What is the temperature of the bowl?

I would try New Life Spectrum Betta. If she won't eat that then I would treat for internal parasites. Since she won't eat you'll have to use a bath. I'd get Metronidazole and Prazipro and treat together for 2 weeks. If you can't find them you can get General Cure which combines both but suggest trying to find them separate because each med really needs its own treatment time.. You dose metro every other day and prazi you dose every 5-7 days.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #9 
Bubblebitti

I'm back from my lfs... while I was there I took a look at the other bettas... and realized "Holy crap... my betta is so tiny compared to these.. maybe I've been feeding her too big of food" ... I decided to get parasite meds anyways (can't hurt to have them on hand) When I got home I soaked some blood worms in garlic juice and tore them up is TINY TINY pieces that I had a hard time seeing them... and sure enough SHE GOBBLED THEM UP!!! I am so happy and at the same time upset with myself for not seeing she was just too small to eat normal sized food... and that I let her loose so much weight :( Now I'm concerned about her size... Could it be a deformity or something? I highly doubt she is all that young... but then again she never shows signs of aggression so she could be...
Old 02-22-2012, 05:19 PM   #10 
bettafish15

One of my girls is super tiny too, some girls are just like that. I cant feed her pellets either, so I have to feed flakes to my sorority girls. I'm glad you finally figured it out! She should fatten up real soon.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote