Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #1 
trainerj59

White spots near head

Hi I have had Bennie about a month. He is is a 5 gallon aquarium with a filter. Yesterday I noticed white spots near his gills. His behavior has not changed. I have attached a picture. Is this a fungus? I do weekly 30% water changes using a siphon vacuum.
Attached Images

trainerj59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #2 
CarmanDirda

It may be the beginning stages of fungus. My fish actually just got it as well. Look closely as you can (I put my fish in a small cup to see better) and try to tell if it's fuzzy, or just a color change.

More likely than not, it's probably fungus - if it's fuzzy at all, it's definately fungus.
CarmanDirda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:47 PM   #3 
Youseph

How does one cute a Betta of fungus?
Youseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #4 
CarmanDirda

They have medications for it you can get at most any pet store, or even walmart. Just don't use tetra fungus guard. Used it 3 times and it's never worked. If anything, it made it worse.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #5 
Youseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarmanDirda View Post
They have medications for it you can get at most any pet store, or even walmart. Just don't use tetra fungus guard. Used it 3 times and it's never worked. If anything, it made it worse.
Thanks
Old 02-23-2012, 04:55 PM   #6 
CarmanDirda

No problem. If you don't have one, though, I'd get a small adjustable filter and thermometer to stick outside the tank. Cold water can make their immune system weak and they'll get sick a lot easier. They should be in 76-82 degrees F waters.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #7 
Youseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarmanDirda View Post
No problem. If you don't have one, though, I'd get a small adjustable filter and thermometer to stick outside the tank. Cold water can make their immune system weak and they'll get sick a lot easier. They should be in 76-82 degrees F waters.

I am not worried abou the temp. I do want to get a bigger tank with a filter though. I wonder if having the filter will reduce the tank temp and I will also need a heater? Just something I will have to play by ear and deal with as it occurs i guess.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:42 PM   #8 
CarmanDirda

The filter shouldn't bother the temperature at all, but a just in case heater would do you well when the weather turns cold. Especially for large tanks.