Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2012, 05:30 PM   #11 
callistra

Well she hasn't eaten for a month so she'll be emaciated.. just keep feeding her and she'll gain. If she won't gain then treat with meds.

NLS are really good for this as they are like 1/2 size of normal pellets.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:13 PM   #12 
Silverfang

Just make sure to feed small meals throughout the day. You don't wnt to feed her too much in case she gets bloated. Just take it slow, I'm sure she's happy you found something she can finally eat.

I have never seen a fish that wasn't extremely sick turn down a frozen blood worm. I've been bitten for not feeding those fast enough!
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:47 PM   #13 
Bubblebitti

Well turned out she is infested with internal parasites. Now that I am feeding her I finally saw the clear stringy poo. I am treating her for that now. ALSO something that sort of alarms me... she developed a curved spine what seems like over night... You can't see it from the side only from the top... but she can straighten up when she swims but curves back up when she stops.
Bubblebitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:50 PM   #14 
CarmanDirda

It's not abnormal. They do sell some young fish, and some are just naturally smaller as well. I'm glad you figured out what was wrong, though. As sad as it might seem, at least she wasn't sick, or she may not recover at all. At least this is an easy fix.
CarmanDirda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #15 
callistra

The curve is another sign of internal parasites.

What are you using to treat? In my experience, this type of thing needs a feed. I usually mix my own because my betta doesn't like the premade type. I use Omega One Betta Buffet, garlic guard (100% garlic juice extract), metrodazinole, focus and prazipo. If I could find some levamisole that might be even better.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:13 PM   #16 
SnowySurface

If I'm not mistaken, malnutrition can cause a curved spine. That's why it's a symptom of parasite infections. If the parasites are feeding off of a betta that can't eat, then she'll be lacking in a lot of vitamins. Now that you know she needs tiny pieces of food in order to eat and you are treating for the parasites her spine should straighten back out over time.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:17 PM   #17 
vermax

Just this weekend, I rescued a dying female betta from Petco who was severely malnourished and had inflamed gills. At first, I thought she had a bent spine as well, but as I treated her and fed her, it straightened out. I haven't even had her for a week yet, and she's straight as an arrow! Since your fish is malnourished as well, and its spine didn't start out that way, I would say that it will self-correct.

Good luck with her!
vermax is offline   Reply With Quote