Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #1 
Turquioce

Otocinclus care?

Ok so Ive unknowingly has a otocinclus catfish in my tank for about 3 weeks thinking that it was a baby pleco. Im have just discovered however, that it is actually an oto. I dont know how to take care of it past what to feed it. Ive been feeding it algie pellets. It is very energetic and likes to dig. its uprooted almost everything in my tank and constantly looks for food. I feed it a pellet a day sense the pellets are large in comparison to my fish. Is there something more i could to for it? are there any special needs it has? Is it social? should I get a nother one for companionship? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
-ten gal tank, heated, lighted, and filtered. average temp 80 degrees.
Turquioce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #2 
Inga

I think you might still have a mystery fish, not an Oto. Oto's do not normally uproot things in the tank. They are tiny and they stay small. They tend to hang out on the glass of the aquarium or on wood or plants. They will go on the substrate as well but not to uproot anything. If you post a picture, we might be able to help figure out what it is. If it is an Oto, it is unusual behavior.. I suspect you have some other type of Catfish.

This is an Oto

Last edited by Inga; 02-22-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Inga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:33 PM   #3 
Turquioce

It looks just like the picture you posted. Ive already posted another thread with a picture to decipher what it is. here is the pictre:Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  24.5 KB
Old 02-22-2012, 06:36 PM   #4 
Turquioce

I dont have sand or gravel in the tank. It is covered with marbles and sea shells. mostly because they are easy to clean and dont fit through my drains to clog pipes.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #5 
Ogre44

That looks more like a Chinese Algae Eater to me.
Ogre44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:57 PM   #6 
Inga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre44 View Post
That looks more like a Chinese Algae Eater to me.
To me as well.

IF it is an Oto, then he/she will be quite busy eating algae around your tank. You can add slices of Cucumber for them to munch or spinach as they enjoy both. Don't leave those items in there too long. I usually take them out after 10 hours.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:10 PM   #7 
Turquioce

It dose eat algie. there wanst a green spot left in my tank after the first week. he mowed down the whole thing. im just glad i didnt have any live plants. theyd certainly be gone by now. after all the algie was gone it took to pushing things over looking for food. the pic i took isnt a very good one. hes not really orange. hes silver like the one in the post above it. i just have bright orange plants in the tank that reflected off of him.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:51 PM   #8 
Inga

I don't know, I have 8 Oto's in one tank and they don't eat plants or dig in the substrate. Not saying they can't I just have never witnessed that behavior in Oto's.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:59 PM   #9 
ladayen

I'm 99% certain it's a Chinese Algae Eater. They look quite similar while young. I would get rid of it any way possible. They will kill your fish eventually, and with the aggresiveness yours has shown already I suspect it wont take long.
ladayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:55 PM   #10 
Turquioce

I have it in a tank with just 3 other female betas and a very tiny snail. he dosnt eat plants. he just swims around and sucks algie off of everything. he hasnt shown any agression towards the betas tho. i dont exactly want to get rid of the lil guy. How big do they get? and what can live with them?