Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #11 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquioce View Post
It looks just like the picture you posted. Ive already posted another thread with a picture to decipher what it is. here is the pictre:Attachment 49053
It's absolutley a chinese algea eater, these fish will grow to be a good size and become more aggressive. Not a good fish for a small tank.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:28 PM   #12 
tpocicat

They eat algea when they are young, but when they get older, they can attach and rip the scales off of the other fish. Keep a very close eye on him.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:35 PM   #13 
Shirleythebetta

So it could be a chinese algae eater. well hmmm. what a mysterious little guy you have. Maybe look at pics of both and you determine what it is rather that just taking our word for it. Google pics of both and see what you determine it looks more like so you can get better help here. It's hard because we can't see it in person. You'll have to make the call what it is.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:12 PM   #14 
Turquioce

I think it is definately a chinese algie eater. it looks much more like the pics of the algie eater. the otos have only one set of fins on ther tail, and mine has two so it has to be the algie eater. he hasnt shown any agrassion yet, he just knocks things over but i will watch him closely. he s a cute lil guy. i named him tiger because of his stripes. :) i hope he dosnt get too agressive
Turquioce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:10 PM   #15 
Shirleythebetta

I hope so too. I am glad you finally identified him. Thats a start but be careful and good luck.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:16 PM   #16 
Turquioce

thanks for the help
Turquioce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:32 PM   #17 
Bombalurina

He will get aggressive, mostly in the form of sucking the slime coat off your girls. They are also very boisterous, active fish. Off the top of my head, I believe they need a 30 gallon tank, with semi-aggressive tankmates.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:38 PM   #18 
Edifiler

I suggest you get rid of it by giving it back to the pet store you bought it from. Chinese algae eater when grown up, will suck the slime coat off your betta fish and show very aggressive behavior. I just returned my Chinese algae eater yesterday.

As for the size, they can grow up to 12 inches long and the width of a mans underarm. They'll only grow to this size when provided a huge area. Usually, in aquariums they grow to about 10cm in length. When they are that size, pellets wont be enough, and your betta's slime coat will look very delicious to them.
Edifiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:11 AM   #19 
dramaqueen
Banned

CAE's will apso suck the slime coat off of other fish if what I've heard is correct.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:22 AM   #20 
Tazman
TFK Moderator

They will suck the slime coat off most fish. They should be kept alone in a species only tank.

I would highly recommend that you return it to the store.
Tazman is offline   Reply With Quote