Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2012, 01:53 PM   #1 
mnkeyprince

Exclamation White Ball / Lump w/ pics!

when i was cleaning his tank today, i noticed this large white ball that seemed to be growing out of his side. After some research, i concluded it is NOT ick as it is just one white thing growing on his side, i tried brushing it off, but its attached or growing out of his side.

i took some pics, ive googled thoroughly but nobody else seems to have this problem. So i joined this forum just to ask this question. anybody know what this is?
mnkeyprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:03 PM   #2 
CarmanDirda

It's a bit hard to tell, but it may be fungus. It's near impossible to get off by merely wiping it, and it'll just come back.

You need to keep his bowl extra clean, between 76-82 degrees, and try to find some medicine. One medicine I've tried and failed (though pet stores like to reccommend it) is Tetra Fungus Guard. It claims to treat many illnesses, but...I tried it 3 times, and it never worked in any case (and possibley made those 3 worse), so avoid it.
CarmanDirda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Its hard to say from the pic....but google pics of- Lymphocystis and see if that looks like what your Betta has....

How is he acting otherwise and if you can provide more information that will help too...
Tank size, water temp, filter, live plants, water changes-how much and how often, appetite, additives used, how long you have had him and has he ever been sick and/or treated....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #4 
mnkeyprince

thanks for the replies, i really hope its not lymphocytis
i attached one more pic of him, though i really need a macro lens

the tank is 2.5 gal and i have a plant in there i took from a pond and cleaned

Old 02-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #5 
Leeniex

He looks kind of skinny, how is he eating?
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:47 PM   #6 
CarmanDirda

See if you can find any meds that work well and treat multiple illnesses (particularly ones you think he has). Be careful with it, though, and ask people you think you can trust where you buy them if there are any. Just be wary of input focussing on solely more expensive products, because they might be trying to make more money off you, even if it isn't the best solution. If they reccommend multiple things and/or their go to meds aren't as expensive, then they may be more trustworthy.

And Leeniex is right, he is on the thin side. If he does eat okay, how much are you feeding him? You should feed him 2-4 pellets twice daily and skip a day one or twice a week for healthy regulation.
CarmanDirda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

I don't recommend any medication at this point-especially without a diagnosis....by adding chemicals just because can often make things worse...not better.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #8 
mnkeyprince

well i havnt fed him in a while because he was not eating anything, he just started getting his appetite back 2 days ago.

And im feeding him goldfish flakes (tetra fin, it has shrimp meal in it) but i heard pellets were better so im gonna go get some today or tommorow
Old 02-22-2012, 06:01 PM   #9 
mnkeyprince

Well, i just checked on him again and the white lump fell off! it left a small purplish spot where it was.

very interesting i wonder what it was