Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #1 
JBosley

Worried- Constipation?

Hey,
I *think* my Betta, Dragonfly, might be constipated... I haven't seen him go at all since I moved him into his 5 Gal tank. Nor have I noticed any at the bottom of his tank, and he is eating normal! I feed him 2 pellets, two times a day and usually fast him 1 day during the week.

I have also notice that he has ripped fins, as well as he isn't really flaring out his tail like he was before. I have already got help for the ripped fins.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 80F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Once weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tap water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Not flaring, ripped fins
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It hasn't
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Since I moved him into the 5 gal, about 2 weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? None
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? No idea

Last edited by JBosley; 02-22-2012 at 06:59 PM.
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #2 
callistra

Did you make sure the tank was fully cycled before you put him in.. by testing. You didn't put water parameters in.

Do you have anything in the tank he could be ripping his fins on? Plastic plants or rough decorations? Or else it could be caused by the filter.

ETA: you already have a thread.. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=93926 Don't make multiple threads. Makes it hard to help.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #3 
JBosley

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Did you make sure the tank was fully cycled before you put him in.. by testing. You didn't put water parameters in.
I didn't cycle it, was told I didn't have to. He's acting 100% normal, I posted a thread about my new tank when I set it up

I'm thinking about moving him into a 1 gal glass tank, with no substrate to monitor him... good or bad idea? I have a heater for it.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #4 
JBosley

Quote:

Do you have anything in the tank he could be ripping his fins on? Plastic plants or rough decorations? Or else it could be caused by the filter.

ETA: you already have a thread.. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=93926 Don't make multiple threads. Makes it hard to help.
Thats about his fins.... I got the answers I needed for that. I dont know how to close threads
Old 02-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #5 
callistra

You don't have to cycle it but you chose to when you put the filter in. The water changes you have done are good for a fully cycled tank but your tank is in the cycling process so after 2 weeks and one small change as you have described your ammonia should have spiked very high by now.

You need to go out and buy yourself a good drops test kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Here is a good guide to how to do fish in cycle (not ideal) to keep your guy as healthy as possible while doing this. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838

Right now, do a large water change.. 50% at least. More may be necessary but to know you need to get that test kit and keep up on the cycle.

I would move him to the 1 gallon while the tank cycles, if you can keep it heated. I would still cup and acclimate him to the new bowl slowly. Your 1 gallon needs 100% change every 3 days with ideally a 50% change on day 2 as well.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:15 PM   #6 
JBosley

Quote:
You don't have to cycle it but you chose to when you put the filter in. The water changes you have done are good for a fully cycled tank but your tank is in the cycling process so after 2 weeks and one small change as you have described your ammonia should have spiked very high by now.

You need to go out and buy yourself a good drops test kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Here is a good guide to how to do fish in cycle (not ideal) to keep your guy as healthy as possible while doing this. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838

Right now, do a large water change.. 50% at least. More may be necessary but to know you need to get that test kit and keep up on the cycle.

I would move him to the 1 gallon while the tank cycles, if you can keep it heated. I would still cup and acclimate him to the new bowl slowly. Your 1 gallon needs 100% change every 3 days with ideally a 50% change on day 2 as well.
Thanks for the information! I will put him in the 1 gallon tonight, I have kept fish in it before and they do great I do know I have to change the water more frequently! Thanks.