Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2012, 09:40 AM   #1 
pasoindy

Well, poop - help needed

I just joined this forum last night and my Betta was still a happy little guy. Sometime late last night he ate my ghost shrimp, but he was still happy to see me this morning. This is when I think I screwed up.

I didn't look for the shrimp until after I fed him. He ate 2 bloodworms and could barely get the 3rd one down. I noticed he looked "stuffed" which was usual as I have been careful not to over feed. He gets 4-5 bloodworms or 2 bloodworms and a couple brine shrimp per day - all frozen.

So, after the bloodworms he really looked full. And then I noticed my shrimp was gone. I finally found the empty shell behind a rock.
Now he is showing signs of distress. He fans his fins faster, has a clamped top fin, and sometimes floats tail down. He is staying near the top on his leaves, but I saw him tucked under a micro sword on his side at the bottom once. He is still swimming, but sometimes darts across the tank. He did flare once.

I am kicking myself for not noticing he had already had "breakfast". I tried to give him a great home in my 6 gallon planted tank, but it looks like I may have killed him. I'm so upset. Is there anything I can do for him? :(

Correction: He is swimming around more since last I checked him - about 15 minutes ago. His top fin isn't clamped either. He may have pooped in the time it took me to write this. I'm going to fast him for 2 days.

Last edited by pasoindy; 02-20-2012 at 09:53 AM.
pasoindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #2 
Geomancer

I doubt you've killed him from a single over feeding.

Just fast him for a day or two, in the wild fish don't get food daily and they can easily go a few without. Some say to feed a betta a pea if they look bloated because it can act like a laxative ... but I personally wouldn't recommend it.

A varied died however is very health for a fish (any fish). I'd recommend trying to mix up his diet some, maybe add betta pellets in there.
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:05 AM   #3 
pasoindy

I've tried to feed him pellets (even soaked in garlic juice) and he won't touch them. I have Omega Betta Buffet.
I can get frozen daphnia to mix it up more. Right now, I'd say his diet is pretty varied since he ate my shrimp. /lolcry
Old 02-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #4 
pasoindy

And now he's acting completely normal. I guess it's like overheating at a buffet.
I feel better now.
I was really afraid that he was going to die. If I had a salty that acted the way he did, it would almost never recover - and never that fast.

He's even flaring again and begging for food. Too bad little cutie!
Old 02-20-2012, 03:05 PM   #5 
Silverfang

I might suggest a day or two of fasting to clear out the piggies system. I put my boy on a starvation diet for two days after he decided his shrimp tankmate was tasty.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:28 PM   #6 
pasoindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
I might suggest a day or two of fasting to clear out the piggies system. I put my boy on a starvation diet for two days after he decided his shrimp tankmate was tasty.
He's now eye-balling "Snack", my remaining shrimp. I tap on the glass to get his attention and he gives me the stink-eye. I never a fish could show emotions, but this one can. I did get him to eat a pellet, but he wasn't thrilled with it. I'm sure he'd rather have shrimp cocktail.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:15 PM   #7 
Silverfang

I know what you mean, my boy just bullied his last remaining companion (at least I think it is...) to death. Some boys (and girls) just are meant to live the bachelor life.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:40 AM   #8 
Aus

Quote:
He's now eye-balling "Snack", my remaining shrimp.
Take the shrimp out..?
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:56 AM   #9 
pasoindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
Take the shrimp out..?
Unfortunately, I don't have anywhere else to put him right now. My new tank is still in transit, but if he makes it until then he can go in there. I did go out and buy a bunch more plants to give him more hiding places. Chips has been leaving him alone now. I'm starting to think that the one shrimp had a failed molt and died and that's when Chips ate him. It was a big Ghost Shrimp!
Old 02-22-2012, 09:11 AM   #10 
Myates

Java moss, Naja grass will help make sure there are hiding spots small enough for the shrimp- along with food for them. There needs to be a ton of small hiding places to keep them safe.. and would definitely get more as a single one may get overly stressed and hide.

Fast for a day or so to clear out his system as Silver suggested.. for future, fast first and if constipated, Epsom Salt treatment.. Frozen/live daphnia will help keep them "regular". But if overly full of food, fasting is all that is needed, as using a laxative on a fish who isn't constipated is like using it on us.. not ideal and not good for the system.

I want cherry shrimp, but all of mine are very aggressive.. well all but one or two *may* be able to get away with it. One will just stare at the shrimp, the other will want to play with it.. but other then that, yeah.. no shrimp for me :(
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote