Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2012, 10:52 AM   #1 
bkelizabeth

Unhappy Scary story... :(

Ugh. I really don't even remember WHEN this happened, ..because I've been trying to push it to the back of my mind. Somewhere around 2 weeks ago, I came home from school, opened the apartment door, and saw the worst thing I've ever seen in my whole life. When I looked at my 20 gal fish tank, I was really confused. There was NOTHING in it. Ok, well, there were a lot of fake plants and rocks and toys and such...... but there wasn't any WATER in the tank. I was in a state of complete shock. Suddenly, I could HEAR the filter running on nothing...just air. It was the worst sound ever. Ugh. I ran up to the empty tank and I was shaking.......... the floor was soaking wet. The tank wasn't cracked or broken, but it was definitely leaking. There was only about an inch (probably less) of water left in the tank. I stared into the rocks and tried to locate my bettas. I lifted up their giant car decoration and saw my three bettas lying in the rocks. I was absolutely horrified. I ran into the kitchen, grabbed a ton of containers, ran into the bedroom, and filled them all up with water from my quarantine tank. I slowly scooped my poor fish out of the empty tank and plopped them into the little Tupperware containers. I couldn't BELIEVE they were still alive.........................

I called my boyfriend crying....and told him what happened. He picked up a new tank and we set it up. ALL of my bettas (and random other fish) survived. We inspected the tank a millon times and couldn't find a single crack. Our theory is that there was a leak in the lining.....somewhere. I had that tank for a year and never had a problem.

Well. That's my betta nightmare. I thought I was gonna lose them. Sophia, Cora, and Valerie are TROOPERS. They're doing excellent and loving there new tank..............all 20 gallons of water, haha :)

I hope none of you EVER have to experience this, it was terrifying. I've been thinking of making a sort of "tray" to put in the bottom of the fish tank so if it EVER springs a leak at the BOTTOM, the fish will still have water.
bkelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:09 AM   #2 
Rosso1011

What a nightmare! Good thing there was a little bit of water left and all your girls are okay. How long had you been away when you returned?
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #3 
DragonTheBetta

That's horrible! I'm glad your bettas are okay! I can't imagine loosing my little boy.
DragonTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:41 PM   #4 
tpocicat

What a nightmare! I'm glad your fish all survived the experience.
Did you try filling up the old tank to maybe see where it was leaking from? Could it be the filter didn't work right? That happened to me once, although it didn't suck all the water out like in yours.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:41 PM   #5 
TwilightNite

That is a nightmare, I am so sorry you had to experience that! I am glad your fish survived.
TwilightNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #6 
bkelizabeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso1011 View Post
What a nightmare! Good thing there was a little bit of water left and all your girls are okay. How long had you been away when you returned?
Well, my boyfriend said the tank was full in the morning,.... and I got home from class a little after 2! I can't believe how fast 20 gals leaked!
Old 02-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #7 
bkelizabeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpocicat View Post
What a nightmare! I'm glad your fish all survived the experience.
Did you try filling up the old tank to maybe see where it was leaking from? Could it be the filter didn't work right? That happened to me once, although it didn't suck all the water out like in yours.
Yeah! We did try that! We put it in the bathtub and filled it up.... nothing was leaking. Really strange. And WOW I've never heard of THAT happening. Holy crap! It definitely wasn't that though... or else there still would have been some water left :/
Old 02-25-2012, 09:08 AM   #8 
Aus

I have read that sometimes water can drain out of a tank via the filter cords, some kind of siphon action drawing water up the cords - I am sure there's a thread on it here, somewhere... If there was no discernible leak and the water drained very quickly, maybe that was the problem?

What a terrifying experience. Glad your girls are alright!
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:24 PM   #9 
bkelizabeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
I have read that sometimes water can drain out of a tank via the filter cords, some kind of siphon action drawing water up the cords - I am sure there's a thread on it here, somewhere... If there was no discernible leak and the water drained very quickly, maybe that was the problem?

What a terrifying experience. Glad your girls are alright!
like I said, my filter was at the halfway mark, so there's no way that's what happened.... I wish though! I coulda kept the original tank, there was definitely a leak. I gotta find a thread.