Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: Who Should I breed with Who?
Patrick with Selena 6 75.00%
Patrick with Big Red 0 0%
Walter with Selena 2 25.00%
Walter with Big Red 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #21 
BeautifulBetta

Microworms are another fry food thats good to have on hand, or vinegar eels. Microworms are small enough that they can be fed to the smallest of fry, whereas bbs is too big for a lot of newborns :) They're super easy to culture too, all you need is a starter culture (often fairly cheap, like $5-10 online), a yogurt container or see-through tupperware, some yeast, and oatmeal (At least thats what I use).

I think Patrick and Selena would go best together, Im not sure about her being veiltail or not but you could take a look at this site, it might be able to determine what Selena is. Might just be me but I don't think she's a VT, looks bigger :) (If anyone opposes this website and knows its incorrect, please let me know so I stop using it lmao) http://aquaticpassion.animal-world.c...?showtopic=879

Well I'm rambling now, and I dont think i've ever used so many brackets in my life lol, good luck! :D

Last edited by BeautifulBetta; 02-24-2012 at 01:15 PM.
BeautifulBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #22 
lvandert

Here is a really good pic of just her tail dorsal and anal fin. What I've heard is that she's a long finned VT with a bit of crown tail in her background
Attached Images

lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:21 PM   #23 
Oldfishlady

Sometimes Betta fry will not accept non-living food-they tend to do better with live-the movement helps stimulate the feeding/hunting instinct...

I also read an interesting article in the April 2012 AFI (Aquarium Fish International) in regards to a scientific study/research on nutrition and fry...not specific to Betta-but in general......that with some fry the enzymes or the bacterial gut fauna that the live food provides will help them process food later in life and without this they can't digest food properly and die even though they are eating...interesting article but I would love to see the study itself....lol.....

You can also use plastic tubs for grow out...it doesn't have to be an aquarium-as long as it is food/water safe graded for humans...they are safe to use for fish....just a thought......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #24 
lvandert

Although now I'm eating my words because it looks like they branch to two and then each on of those branches to three or two...that means HM. lol
Old 02-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #25 
BeautifulBetta

She does look rather pokey doesn't she haha. Looks like there could be CT in there somewhere! I know none of my girls have spikes like that on her anal fin except Peekaboo, who IS a CT :P Selena is definitely a hard one to determine lmao. Usually VT girls only have two rays but she looks like she has four. She could be a mix of everything however, so who knows what you could get! :D

PS: I think we ALL posted at once xD lmao
Old 02-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #26 
tpocicat

She has more than 2 rays, and according to the article, a VT will never have more than 2 rays.
Also, some fry won't eat non live food at least at first. I lost a lot of my first spawn because I didn't have any live food until they were about 2 weeks old.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #27 
lvandert

I'm going to give this stuff a go because its what I have access to at the moment. And with me going out of town the week before the spawn (I'm having someone come over to feed them brine shrimp and blood worms). I dont want to exceed my friends fish watching ability.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #28 
lvandert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
I'm going to give this stuff a go because its what I have access to at the moment. And with me going out of town the week before the spawn (I'm having someone come over to feed them brine shrimp and blood worms). I dont want to exceed my friends fish watching ability.

Hopefully they take to it, what do you guys recommend I try first, this Hikari fry food or frozen BBS?
Old 02-24-2012, 10:06 PM   #29 
lvandert

OK never mind those past posts. I bought a micro worm culture. lol My babies will be fat and happy.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:29 PM   #30 
BeautifulBetta

Hurray!!