Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: Who Should I breed with Who?
Patrick with Selena 6 75.00%
Patrick with Big Red 0 0%
Walter with Selena 2 25.00%
Walter with Big Red 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-01-2012, 09:20 AM   #61 
lvandert

Ok so Hai everyone! Its kinda been a few days. Velvet has really come into her new tank and love my bird :P So I've had a few new things occur. I am going home for spring break (from tomorrow to the 11th) and my mother has given me the ok to take any tank I want from our attic or basement. I know there is a 55 up there, and I'm hoping my 10, but there also might be a 30 or 29. I dont know what she has up there and neither does she. I've kinda found a spot for a 55 if I have to i will. My boyfriends eyes kinda got big at the thought of bringing that home. I know I used a 30 for my hamster a long time ago, I hope we still have it. I'll probably have to re-seal the corners though.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #62 
lvandert

Today has just been productive! I made a sponge filter and set it to bubble once a sec. It's bright florescent orange but Patrick is more interested in my new thermometer. I got a standing one that goes in my tank. I just didn't want to "guess" the temp from my stick on one. I'm also thinking of breeding Smith and Velvet seeing how Smith has blown another bigger and taller bubble nest (his old one got destroyed when I added water to his tank). I have 4 microwrom cultures going now
Old 03-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #63 
lvandert

So another update my 10 gal was no where to be found :( but I did find a 20 :D SCORE! Looks like I now have the perfect grow out tank. Its a 20 tall but I'm going to start with it half full and add a gallon every day until its filled. I also found a heater that will work for my 5 gallon and another that will work for the 20, YAY! And just to top everything off there were two sheets of glass that covers the top of the tank and a light. Thanks mom for hanging on to stuff and putting it in the attic! I can't wait to get home next weekend and get everything set up, and have my first spawn!
Old 03-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #64 
BeautifulBetta

Gotta love when parents keep aquarium equipment!!! :D Mine did the same haha. They left me a 25g, and two 10 gallons to use at my disposal. Along with various filters and heaters. So nice when you dont have to spend as much money getting a hobby going! lol. Good luck :D
BeautifulBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:32 PM   #65 
lvandert

So after my near disaster with my sitter I have decided to breed Walter with Velvet, both are VT but I dont care, babies are babies and they will be cute. I have moved Walter into the spawning tank and Velvet into the vase beside it and in half a day I've noticed her belly getting rounder with eggs. She also follows Walter through the glass :P and he flares at her like "look at me!!". I'm going to give them a day to recover from a bad week and introduce them with a breeder container for another day before I release them into the tank together. I'm hoping Walter will build another bubble nest and that the Indian Almond Leaves do the trick.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #66 
lvandert

Another fantastic update! I threw some Styrofoam into Walter's tank and he's started a bubble nest already! :D He constantly swims over to the side of the tank, flares at velvet and then swims all around the tank. Velvet watches him but doesn't flare at him, she even tries to follow him. I'll put her in the breeder container in the spawning tank tomorrow and turn on the heater so it gets up those last few degrees to a comfy 82. Then after a day of that I'll release Velvet into the tank and watch and wait
Old 03-12-2012, 08:34 AM   #67 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Cool! So, are you conditioning them now? (:
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #68 
lvandert

Yup :D I put Velvet in the floating breeder cage in the spawning tank this morning. Walter was freaked out for a minute and then went to "look at me!!! look at me!!! I need to make bubbles" He swims back and forth between the breeder cage and his bubble nest. Velvet is showing signs of being submissive, she puts her head down when she see's him flaring. I'm going to give them another two days like that so I can get my heater to the proper temp. I'll post pics later
Old 03-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #69 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Great!
So, your growout is 20 Gallons, an what size tank will you be spawning them in?
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:28 PM   #70 
lvandert

I'm spawning in a 5 gallon.