Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #1 
CarmanDirda

Sudden Lethargy

My halfmoon, Aroone, has been in the breeding tank for about a week. There is a steady temperature and everything is perfect - I've been doing this a while. But this morning, he slowly got less active, and abandoned his work on his bubble nest.

Now, all he wants to do is hide and lay around. His colors are paling and he has stress stripes, but that's all I see wrong. No clamped fins, no unusual marks, and no apparent reason for this.

I've seen bettas like this before, but only with reasons noticable. I can't think of any cause for this, especially since he was healthy and happy (or so it seemed) just last night around 2am. Just over 12 hours ago.

There's nothing wrong with the water, the temperature, and no contaminents. I tested the water, everything came back normal.

Does anyone know of any hidden diseases that match this? Or do you think he just got stressed or worn out?

Right now I have him in a cup in the top of the tank so he can get air easily. He's only been in there maybe a half hour, but he hardly seems better. He's not even responding to the female still in the tank, and she's starting to pretend he's not there.
CarmanDirda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:23 PM   #2 
CarmanDirda

After close inspection, I believe he has fungus. What is the best approach? I've only had this problem two times and the meds I used were uselss.

Female is removed from the tank, even though she was in a pitcher separate. Afraid it'll get to her some how.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:55 AM   #3 
freemike

From the sticky
Treatment: Conservative: Lower temperature below 76* F and treat with Aq.Salt at 1 tsp/gal. Increase water changes to 100% daily. Replace accurate amount of salt following water changes. Never continue salt treatments for more than 10 days. Medication: If Conservative treatment is ineffective after 10 days or you see the fungus spread rapidly during the course of conservative treatment, move to medication. Add “Fungus Eliminator” by Jungle, API Erythromycin, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR Mardel’s Maracyn II. Change water every day and add a new dose of the same medication. Continue until all fungus has disappeared.

Don't know if those were the meds you used but similar treatment worked for my Betta I had a few years back.
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:16 AM   #4 
CarmanDirda

Sadly, he passed away already. Was about to update. :(

He was acting funny and died within the daylight hours, crazy. He was fine when I woke up, weird after breakfast, dead by dinner. Whatever it was, I'm glad the female he was with was in different water in case it was a bug.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:24 AM   #5 
freemike

Sorry to hear that.... It's such a bummer to see them go especially so mysteriously in some cases when you try to your best to keep them healthy and thriving.
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:32 AM   #6 
CarmanDirda

I know. I haven't had him very long, either, but he was one of the few I got from a petstore. Couldn't pass him up. :/

Fish from petstores rarely last long in my experience. Half of them are sick when I buy them! I have one mollie, a guppy, a couple platys and tetras that are alright in their community tank with one of my female bettas. I made sure to quarentine them all before letting them near her, so my baby girl wouldn't get sick.