Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #1 
BlackberryBetta

Betta Fix

So my betta just suddenly lost his dorsal fin probably like 3-4 weeks ago. He was getting along fine, eating, acting normal. I was just adding AQ salt to his water to try to help it grow back. I wasn't paying really close attention to him until I noticed that his body was like "rotting". The only thing I had on hand was Betta Fix so I used it. I haven't seen anything too drastic, but he is improving and I can see some blue scales growing back. On the bottle it only says to use BettaFix for a week, and he has been on it a week if not more. But he is healing up and I'm scared that it will just get worse if I take him off it. But what if I leave him on it? Can it hurt him? What do you guys think I should do? Right now he is eating and acting normal and he is in a heated 2.65 gallon. Thanks!
BlackberryBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:22 PM   #2 
callistra

Bettafix is not reccomended because it contains an ingredient that can destroy the labrynth organ and kill your fish. Definitely don't overuse it.

If he's getting better then continue the aquarium salt for up to 10 days and then let him heal naturally with frequent water changes. If he goes downhill again it would be a good idea to have a good antiobitic on hand. I like Kanaplex. Maracyn-2 or Furan-2 might also be helpful.

In your size tank you need to be doing 100% water changes every 4 days, and based on my own experience 50% change at day 2.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:23 AM   #3 
BlackberryBetta

Alright thanks. I took him off it yesterday and added some AQ salt. He's scaring me, he's acting pretty normal but the wound isn't improving nor getting better. Well, we'll see how it plays out. I'm not going to take any drastic actions yet.....
BlackberryBetta is offline   Reply With Quote