Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2012, 05:06 PM   #1 
phoenix91

Bookshelf sorority

So i was in petco today and took a glance at the bettas, to my surprise they all looked great! So healthy and colourful. As i was looking the guy who works there came over and we started talking. I found out he loves bettas, takes really good care of them in the store and when they've been there to long he takes them home. He told me he has over 30 at home.

I told him i have 2, 1 male and 1 female, when he found out i have a female he was so happy; he tried very hard to give me one for free! I wish i could have taken him up on it but as of yet have no where to house an extra fish, so sadly i had to say no.

It got me thinking though. I'm installing a new bookcase in my room and thought i could maybe use one of the shelves to house a small sorority, then i could go back and take him up on his free fish offer, plus take some of the other unwanted females too. I have some spare media in my fw puffer tank just hanging out for cycling emergencies so i wouldn't even have to wait long for the tank cycling.

So bookshelf tanks? can anyone suggest a good one, maybe 15-20 gallons. I'm assuming i could comfortably house 5 fish in one that size.

My poor ct male is very sick and probably won't last too much longer (cancerous tumours by the looks of it) so once he goes i can use his tank and take 1 of the petco males too, there was a lovely bright pink double tail which will probably be gone by the time i go along but still, he was very pretty.
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:30 PM   #2 
ZergyMonster

From what I have read you can get away with 4 bettas in a 10 gallon tank you just need plenty of hiding spaces for them to set up their own places in the tank.

The whole point of needing a lot of space is for them to live comfortably while setting up their own place to call their own. SO! Make sure that you're getting a long tank vs. a tall tank to increase the area where they can claim their territory.

I'm sure you're aware that not all betta sororities are successful because some of them just don't get along, just be sure to keep a good eye and keep the super aggressive girls in line.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:41 PM   #3 
MaisyDawgThirteen

You can actually get away with 5 bettas in a 10G. :DThe above poster made some very good advice. :)
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:49 PM   #4 
Anitax3x

I think with a 15-20 gal tank 5-7 girls would be good. With plenty plenty of places to hide, and you have to be prepared to re cup girls, deal with them initially nipping to establish a pecking order and some you might find can't do sorority life period.
I have a 40 gal sorority with 10 girls so far. The best method of release I've found is to make sure the girls are well fed (not too much) and let them float for a few hours in their cups so they can get used to each other. Then I release them. I started with 5, and ever since then I just buy 1 or 2 new girls, feed everyone, float the new girl for a few hours, and then release her. It works well for me, I've had no problems. Luckily my largest girls are my most docile girls, and they tend to keep the peace. Also I have a couple platies, 4 albino corycats, 1rubber lipped pleco and alot of shrimp. They tend to gang up on the shrimp and eat them, sounds cruel but thats my favorite tank. Good luck and keep us posted on how the sorority comes along . OH and mine runs on sponge filters, Works like a DREAM.
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:59 AM   #5 
phoenix91

Thanks for the advice guys! Since it'll go in a bookshelf it'll have to be a long tank vs a tall. I've been looking and can't find any longs that i like for a reasonable price, might see if i can find out when petco do their $1/gallon sale.
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:15 AM   #6 
Hopeseeker

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix91 View Post
Thanks for the advice guys! Since it'll go in a bookshelf it'll have to be a long tank vs a tall. I've been looking and can't find any longs that i like for a reasonable price, might see if i can find out when petco do their $1/gallon sale.
I googled it and looks like the last one was in January....how often do they do that sale? I really want a 15 gallon, but they cost so much more just for the tank. Asked someone "why?", and she said it was more of an uncommon sized tank...so sad if I have to wait almost a year to get the perfect tank for me....
Hopeseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:31 AM   #7 
scootshoot

Quote:
You just missed the sale for a 15 gallon long starter with Fluorescent hood, Filter, Heater for 39 bucks. Regularly they are 90. Am sure the sale will come around again.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #8 
Karebear13

Quote:
walmart has a cheap 10 gallon tank. It just doesn't come with anything but its cheap
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote