Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #1 
Nutwagon

Betta ate shrimp pellet..

So something unusual happened today.. I was distracting Fred(my fish) so that I could feed the shrimps I have in my 5 gal. tank, dropping in pellets slowly so he hopefully wouldn't see.. Well, he saw one and pretty much swallowed it in one bite. Needless to say, he has quite the bulge going on in the stomach area.

Do you guys have any advice to give me about something like this? Should I fast him for a day, maybe two? Turn up the filter to high for some extra excercise? (That one is a joke, unless it would actually help :) )

Thanks for any help!
Nutwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:54 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sorry this is late but yeah, it would be a good idea to fast him when he overeats. lol Little piggy. haha I hope he's doing ok.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:31 AM   #3 
Nutwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I'm sorry this is late but yeah, it would be a good idea to fast him when he overeats. lol Little piggy. haha I hope he's doing ok.
Thanks for the reply! Yah ive been fasting him but the problem seems to have gotten worse. I think he has decided that he likes them now and he will literally grab them off the bottom if he sees one there. Should i try feeding the shrimps in the dark so he cant see? I thought about feeding them In seperate tanks but the shrimp just dont eat them quick enough it seems. Ive tried keeping him distracted and everything. Its like even if he doesnt see them drop down he will still eat them up if he spots them on the bottom. Not sure what to do at this point.. Anyone have any suggestions?? I would really appreciate it. Im really not sure how much the shrimps are eating. Thanks for any help!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

Definitely do try feeding the shrimp after dark. My girls will do much the same with the cory pellets - they'll grab them and swim off with them. The pellets are too big for them to swallow, but they'll try their best anyway. :p Feeding the cories after dark generally reduces this.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #5 
Nutwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Definitely do try feeding the shrimp after dark. My girls will do much the same with the cory pellets - they'll grab them and swim off with them. The pellets are too big for them to swallow, but they'll try their best anyway. :p Feeding the cories after dark generally reduces this.
Hahaha, same here it's kind of funny. Mine usually just shreds them apart, but I've seen him swallow them whole a few times.. leaves quite the bulge.

Thanks for the reply I'll try feeding in the dark tonight!