Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #21 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I THINK I few mosquito raboras would be good (not sure if that the same as the microrasbora). They are very colourful, it says a small group can be kept in 20x40cm, I don't know what that is in gallons.
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/profile...igittae&id=772
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #22 
Bombalurina

Yep, they are a type of microrasbora. :) They are borasus brigittae - another possible species is borasas maculata. However, in my experience these little fish are extremely delicate. They died in my heavily planted, lightly stocked (yes, it was acutally lightly stocked once), well-established tank, and in similar conditions in a friend's tank. :(
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:39 PM   #23 
stevenjohn21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Not to be a stocking Nazi, but that is very overstocked. Minnows are active little critters and really do need the length of a 10 gallon to be at optimum health (not to mention the bioload of that many creatures in a 5 gallon). Obviously I'm not a cray expert, but I've never heard of them being kept in less than a ten gallon.
5 gallons come in all footprints, but with mine being 2" shorter than a standard 10 gallon tank i feeel they have plenty of room to move around even though they pretty much play around the waterfall made by the filter. The cray is 2" long and wont get any bigger, both fish and cray have had babies, which i think you will agree that fish dont spawn in unsuitable conditions so im confident they are happy
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:19 PM   #24 
Tazman
TFK Moderator

" The crayfish self clones and the offspring are fed to my cichlids in another tank"

Which cichlids are you feeding crayfish too?
Tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:22 PM   #25 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjohn21 View Post
5 gallons come in all footprints, but with mine being 2" shorter than a standard 10 gallon tank i feeel they have plenty of room to move around even though they pretty much play around the waterfall made by the filter. The cray is 2" long and wont get any bigger, both fish and cray have had babies, which i think you will agree that fish dont spawn in unsuitable conditions so im confident they are happy
The footprint does make a difference - I have a 17 inch 5 gallon which I love. :) The bioload still worries me, though - you must have to do a lot of cleaning.

Not saying that this is true of your fish, but DYK that some fish actually ONLY spawn in unsuitable conditions? They do so because the lower water levels and dirty water usually precede an influx of clean water and new food in the wild, so they think it is the perfect time to make babies.
That's my daily trivia.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:30 PM   #26 
mzxeternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyDawgThirteen View Post
+1
When I looked at this tread I wanted to scream! D: I can't imagine 5 guppies in a 5 gallon. :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Not to be a stocking Nazi, but that is very overstocked. Minnows are active little critters and really do need the length of a 10 gallon to be at optimum health (not to mention the bioload of that many creatures in a 5 gallon). Obviously I'm not a cray expert, but I've never heard of them being kept in less than a ten gallon.
Quoted for truth!

5 Gallons, I wouldn't put anything with the betta except for maybe some cherry shrimps, or the betta and 4 dwarf cory's. or the betta and a couple of african dwarf frogs, That's about it.
mzxeternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:32 PM   #27 
dmuddle

Go for wither a betta or some livebearers, livebearers breed easily so if you dont have another tank i wouldnt recommend.
dmuddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:49 AM   #28 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmuddle View Post
Go for wither a betta or some livebearers, livebearers breed easily so if you dont have another tank i wouldnt recommend.
*facepalm*
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:48 AM   #29 
LolaQuigs

You could do a killifish; they're very cool, pretty hardy, and fine in small tanks.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #30 
stevenjohn21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazman View Post
" The crayfish self clones and the offspring are fed to my cichlids in another tank"

Which cichlids are you feeding crayfish too?
I feed the juveniles to my 12" Red Devil & the babies get fed to my Convicts & Kribensis
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote