Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2012, 11:23 PM   #1 
FishyFishy89

Activated Carbon

I purchased a carton of Activated carbon for Spike's filter media. A coupla questions. I'm thinking of changing the carbon every 3-4 weeks...Any input or opinions on that? Should I change it earlier? I've always purchased the premade ones for the filter and changed them when they got dirty.
That and the PetSuperMarket employee said I could reuse the media sleeve, just rinse it in cold tap water and if it starts to get uber dirty go purchase a new sleeve. I'd REALLY love your inputs on that. I honestly think it maybe okay, as some bacteria is good, but then again, something in the back of my mind says "no no".
I purchased this carton:
http://www.petco.com/product/1952/AP...Aquariums.aspx
Also, I decided to put my anacharis in our 75 gallon and started cycling in it. So Spike currently doesn't have a live plant. Would this activated carbon be better? http://www.petco.com/product/1967/AP...20Remover-1967

He currently has no tank mates. I'm afraid to put the shrimp in there, hes quite aggressive and would probly make a meal outta them, that and they were tank mates with Cal and I'm not sure if they would be carrying what Cal had on them.

Any opinions and advise would be greatly appreciated :) Thankies
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:42 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

The general consensus is that the carbon is only really active for the first week or so it is in the aquarium. Even less in some cases. Although, no scientific studies have been done to confirm this.

If you're going to do live plants, I wouldn't use activated carbon as it removes nutrients that plants need like iron. If you're dosing with ferts then a lot of it is going to the carbon. In my opinion activated carbon is a waste of money. I just cut filter sponges to go where the cartridges used to. I never have to replace them and lose the bacteria (or spend buckets of money on cartridges). To me carbon is only useful when trying to remove medicine from the water.

Never rinse any filter material in tap water as it will destroy the good bacteria you worked so hard to get. Just use old aquarium water for rinsing. As for reusing the bag, I see nothing wrong with it.

Last edited by thekoimaiden; 02-23-2012 at 11:45 PM.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:47 PM   #3 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
The general consensus is that the carbon is only really active for the first week or so it is in the aquarium. Even less in some cases. Although, no scientific studies have been done to confirm this.

If you're going to do live plants, I wouldn't use activated carbon as it removes nutrients that plants need like iron. If you're dosing with ferts then a lot of it is going to the carbon. In my opinion activated carbon is a waste of money. I just cut filter sponges to go where the cartridges used to. I never have to replace them and lose the bacteria (or spend buckets of money on cartridges). To me carbon is only useful when trying to remove medicine from the water.
Where do you purchase your Filter Sponges? I wouldn't mind giving them a try
Do you also do weekly partial water changes?
Old 02-24-2012, 12:10 AM   #4 
FishyFishy89

Would this work well?
http://www.petco.com/product/107996/...es_FilterMedia
Old 02-24-2012, 12:27 AM   #5 
Sakura8

Those work or you can also get unbonded or bonded filter pads and cut those to fit.

Probably the only time you want to use carbon is after you've medicated a tank, like Izzy said. Then it helps remove extra medication from the tank. :)

Almost forgot to ask. What kind of filter is it?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:31 AM   #6 
freemike

So changing the activated cabon isn't that important? I've had my tanks about a month now and also in the middle of cycling. I'm wondering if I can or if there is a point to change the carbon in the filter?
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:32 AM   #7 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Those work or you can also get unbonded or bonded filter pads and cut those to fit.

Probably the only time you want to use carbon is after you've medicated a tank, like Izzy said. Then it helps remove extra medication from the tank. :)

Almost forgot to ask. What kind of filter is it?
Just a top fin power filter
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752295

What is unbonded or bonded? Like it somehow sticks together or doesn't?
Old 02-24-2012, 12:33 AM   #8 
Sakura8

If you don't change it, eventually it just becomes a home for good bacteria. It's actually a good medium for cultivating that because it's so porous.

EDIT: fishy, okay. If I recall, Top Fin has it so you buy premade cartridges that are carbon in a foam sleeve, right? If that's the case, you might want to try what Izzy suggested and cut your own. Would save you money.

Sorry, I think I meant uncut bonded filter pad, not bonded or unbonded. >.>

Here's bonded filter pads
http://www.petco.com/product/5539/Ma...lter-Pads.aspx

Last edited by Sakura8; 02-24-2012 at 12:36 AM.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:39 AM   #9 
freemike

Ugh I hate to keep asking questions, but what does the activated cabon supposedly do? I just bought a big bucket of it tonight and it may be going back...
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:42 AM   #10 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
If you don't change it, eventually it just becomes a home for good bacteria. It's actually a good medium for cultivating that because it's so porous.

EDIT: fishy, okay. If I recall, Top Fin has it so you buy premade cartridges that are carbon in a foam sleeve, right? If that's the case, you might want to try what Izzy suggested and cut your own. Would save you money.

Sorry, I think I meant uncut bonded filter pad, not bonded or unbonded. >.>

Here's bonded filter pads
http://www.petco.com/product/5539/Ma...lter-Pads.aspx
Correct, they do have premade cartridges. I remember using them when I was younger and have a goldfish tank. I know their a bit more expensive than buying the carbon and thought it would be cheaper just to get the carbon n such.
Funny thing is my sister gave me a nearly full bag of that stuff a long time ago and I long ago threw it away because the bettas I owned then were in bowls. That was before I got Fishy and put him in a 2.5 with a filter :)