Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2012, 05:01 PM   #1 
GreyCheyenne

Betta acting strange

I just bought a male ct betta a few days ago & was going to try breeding him in september. He ate fine the first couple of days & flared at his reflection. Then yesterday he quit eating and has become very mellow. He won't flare at mirror or another male. I put him next to my sorority tank and he just kinda watched them. I even put a female in with him & he flared a tiny bit, followed her around a couple mintes, then ignored her. Today I put him in the sorority for a few minutes & he just swam around & did his own thing, ignoring the girls. This would be fine except that I want to use him for breeding. Is this just a "new fish" problem? Will he ever be interested in the girls?
GreyCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:18 PM   #2 
peachesxo

I don't want to sound mean, but it sounds like you've made a few dumb decisions there that could risk not only your new bettas life, but the lives of all your sorority girls.

Since he is new it is very likely he was sick when you purchased him which is why he is now unactive and not eating. Many new fish just don't eat the first few days but you should not put him in with any of the females ever, breeders do not just add the other fish to the tank out of the blue like that, it's a "process" and even when done properly things can go wrong. That probably stressed them all out a lot, and if he IS sick and carrying something it could have infected your entire sorority tank when you did that =/

I would suggest leaving him in his tank (alone) and letting him chill out in a quiet place with the lights off, he is probably very stressed - watch him closely for illness/signs of improvement, and do a big water change on your sorority tank ASAP just incase...

Last edited by peachesxo; 02-24-2012 at 05:21 PM.
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #3 
GreyCheyenne

I understand where you are coming from, but I wasn't dumping him in the tank for breeding purposes (I have done alot of research on breeding & so I know about the "process"). I was trying to get him interested in something. And neither he nor the girls appeared stressed by him being in there. I suppose he could be sick & I did not think of that before.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #4 
peachesxo

Oh, I know you weren't doing it to breed him right then and there, but since he was already new in the first place and reccently introduced to that tank, then to a female in his tank, then to a new tank full of females, then back to his first (but still new tank) the uninterested behaviour could really mean sick/in shock/or scared and since all bettas do behave differently, and he is new, you wouldn't be too sure of what his "normal behaviour" is, so determining whether that is just his disposition, how he handles stress, or how he acts when he is sick would be hard for you (or anyone) to know this early. Give him a few days to chill out without any distractions or big changes and he will probably come around, I would still do a big water change on the sorority tank just to be safe though.
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:06 PM   #5 
betta lover1507

peachesxo there was a nicer way of saying of saying "dumb decisions" not to sound rude, and greycheyenne try to put him in a small container floating in the sorority instead. it is safer both ways that's what i did, and it seemed to work, i could tell some things about breeding myself. i got some betta's to spawn myself i'll show you pics of who, but i want to male sure you would say yes before showing. there is actually breeder's in this forum like darkmoon, martinimommy, chard, etc they know lot's of things
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:55 PM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

@GC:
1. could he constantly see other bettas? This will eventually make him ignore them unless he was threatened. And when you placed him in a sorority, the females didn't threaten him.

2. Sudden changes in behavior could mean health issues. And the fact that he isn't eating suggests that he is sick. Not sure what though. But if he is, DO NOT flare him because that may stress him and thus would further compromise his immune system. Isolate him in a quarantine tank.... use IAL as a first aid treatment until he shows definite symptoms. Make sure to do daily water changes.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #7 
GreyCheyenne

No, I don't think he constantly saw other bettas except in store.

Thank you for the help, nice people:)

Last edited by GreyCheyenne; 02-25-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:57 PM   #8 
betta lover1507

your welcome where always here to help
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote