Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #1 
Theraggy1

I don't know what to do....

So I have this friend, who last year I tried to get into bettas, I showed her my tanks and how my bettas acted, and responded to all the stimulation. Well A few months ago she got two boys, and was telling me how they where in heated two gallons. Well I finally got pics and found out that not only where they not in heated 2 gallons but in those awful .5 marina kits. It honestly made me want to cry. Since not only are they going to be cold, the water quality will hurt them and they will get soo soo bored. Well yesterday her boyfriend got her a BEAUTIFUL multi colored halfmoon.... and I wanted to beat someone when I saw, yet again, another marina betta jail.

All of this while she has a ten gallon open and fishless. -___- I told her to just divide it and use it for bettas, but she refuses saying shes had no problems with the small bowls. :{ I know the poor little HM is going to rip through his fins any day now just from the coldness and boredom alone, and he's much to beautiful for that. She knows how much more fun and beautiful they get in proper set ups cause shes seen mine. It's just so infuriating that she could care so little, and not even bother looking up proper care.

Any advise on getting her to take better care of them?
Theraggy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:34 PM   #2 
revolutionrocknroll

She obviously knows it's wrong if she lied to you about their conditions. No offense, but she sounds like a very bad person if she knows what she's doing is wrong.
You could try to get her to join this site maybe. Not like, "You should join this site so you can see that you're treating your fish wrong." Just say something like, "I've found bettafish.com to be a really helpful tool, and it's a great community." Or say anything that will interest her to join- the positives rather than sounding negative.
revolutionrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #3 
Theraggy1

I'll try that, It just irks me that she has SEEN how amazing they can be, how interactive and fun they are when in a proper environment. How they follow you around like puppies, and how they wiggle and beg at your fingers. She's also seen how one of my boys LOVES his fins to be stroked, and how my girls all cluster into my hand when I go and clean something.

And I know shes not getting that type of response from them, cause once upon a time as a child I thought they could live in dirty bowls and boy I hated that fish cause he'd do nothing but sit at the bottom of his bowl.But now? Now I adore them with all my heart. :/ I just wish she'd see that too.

Its like all she has them for is their long fins, and for her own personal greed. Like they aren't even animals. Yet she treats her guppies like gold, and imo guppies are boring as heck. x___x
Old 02-24-2012, 01:10 PM   #4 
JBosley

Steal them! Hahaha, I so would talk her into giving them to me. Or just be all "I'll help you set up everything!"
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #5 
Theraggy1

I'd do that, but she lives in British Columbia Canada and I live in East Tennessee lol, her fish are to DIE for, I just wish they had better living conditions :{
Old 02-25-2012, 07:17 AM   #6 
MaisyDawgThirteen

I'm not sure what you should do. :/ I find guppies fun, by a pain in the rear end. 1 of mine can't tolerate other fish, and another is uber agressive. D:
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:51 AM   #7 
Aus

Quote:
Any advise on getting her to take better care of them?
Personally, I'd try a taser.

Seriously, she's like - one step away from being one of those foul animal hoarders who just keeps getting animals and not caring for them properly.

You can't force people to grow a heart. And I have ditched friends for much less. She's just lucky it's not me on the other end of the phone.

Last edited by Aus; 02-25-2012 at 07:54 AM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:17 AM   #8 
Theraggy1

If I could taser her I would. :/ sigh, some people just don't really care I guess.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:20 AM   #9 
Theraggy1

I guess I find it even more sad cause I honestly wouldn't want to calculate how much money i've dropped into my bettas, and here's someone being snoody about giving hers a great home. I mean, honestly, the smallest tank I have is a 2 gallon :/ and thats for a crippled four year old girl who honestly needs to be placed in a smaller tank so she can swim better, but I don't have the heart to down size her :/