Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2012, 09:09 PM   #1 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

What's your cause? :)

I thought this would be an interesting thread to start.
There are TONS of causes out there for everything, from child abuse to environmental to not selling puppies in pet stores. Causes are such a great thing, but we can't really support them all money wise. I think having a cause is great though, be it human, environmental, or animal. It really gets me when on anti animal abuse videos people complain that there are starving children and everyone's whining over a dog or whatever (I can assure you, that almost none of these people even do anything to support starving children, they just like to complain).

My personal cause would be an environmental one, based on cleaning and maintaining the world's rivers and lakes. Trying to find a balance. Dams provide us so much energy, and yet they flood so much land, and displace people's homes (I read in China there are dams being built, and if a persons house or farmland gets flooded from the dam, they receive no compensation/very little. Also dams in China are the main cause for the extinction of the baiji- Chinese river dolphin-SEE, it hurts people AND animals.) These are so important for both animals and people, and rivers are really the arteries of our Earth, and we are clogging them, which will just kill us all eventually.

Anyway, if you had to choose ONE cause, to support, start a charity or program for, what would you choose? (No shooting down, eg. your cause is stupid).
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #2 
registereduser

Spaying and neutering dogs and cats. There is no excuse not to have a pet altered before it has offspring. Very few people are qualified to breed and very few animals are worthy of breeding.

Millions are dying in shelters.

Responsible pet ownership needs to be taught to children from a very young age. The kids on this forum are very impressive in this area!

Don't breed or buy while shelter pets die.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:22 PM   #3 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
Spaying and neutering dogs and cats. There is no excuse not to have a pet altered before it has offspring. Very few people are qualified to breed and very few animals are worthy of breeding.

Millions are dying in shelters.

Responsible pet ownership needs to be taught to children from a very young age. The kids on this forum are very impressive in this area!

Don't breed or buy while shelter pets die.
That's a very important cause, agreed. There's too many dogs/cats/everything, and so many genetic problems nowadays :/
I believe California is fighting for a law that prevents pet stores from selling puppies, and people from selling puppies away from where they were raised (ie a home visit is required so that people can see conditions). This would be a huge step if it was passed, and would certainly put a lot of backyard breeders out of business.

It's amazing how the internet makes some kids into geniuses and others into not so smart people. :)
Old 03-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

As a law student, I have a cause: I want to change the law in two ways:
- tougher sentences for people who abuse animals. Not only do too many people get away with nothing more than a fine, but it is proven that most human abusers (serial killers, for instance) started with animal abuse.
- making it harder for people to own pets. If they were more expensive and you had to undergo an exam to get a license for a particular type of pet, then people would be less inclined to mistreat what would become an investment instead of a disposable creature.

That said, any cause with any suffering creatures, be it animal or human, really wrenches my heart. I want to save the environment, feed the starving millions, change the world...you know. But the above two things are my little pet dreams. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:44 PM   #5 
SaylorKennedy

My cause would have to be just the awareness about autism. My cousin was diagnosed at 2 years old with Asperger's, mild OCD and mild tourettes (he's 8.25 now, to be exact because that's what he'll tell you haha). It's been such a learning experience, though. My main point is that just because someone has a disorder doesn't mean they're not people, too. I've joined what's called Best Buddies here on campus where everyone in the group connects with someone who has a unique situation. I sponsor and 50 year old autism patient myself who is as caffeine-addicted as I am so we went out for coffee and we have weekly phone chats. He's a special person, that's for sure and I'm glad I get to connect with him.
I think encouraging being accepting of people with autism is the most important in the awareness aspect.

My favorite part is just hanging out with my cousin, though. He's such a funny little dude. I'm taking him out to dinner and to see The Lorax on Thursday and in preparation I bought him the book and told him that his mom and him had to read it tonight before we go!
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:28 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Wow, you guys have such great causes. I guess mine would be education. I started out in education when I was in college. Reading was my area of concentration. I like to read and I was hoping it would rub off on my students. I think our country's education system is going down the drain. Kids don't know how to read, spell, use proper grammar or count change. When I figured out that teaching wasn't for me I changed my major to psychology, which brings me to another concern/cause I have. It seems to me that there are a lot of kids that have problems with depression, anxiety disorders and mental illnesses. I don't understand why that is. I don't ever remember anyone having these kind of problems when I was a kid. I realize that things are a lot different now then they were back when I was a kid. We didn't have cell phones, Ipads, video games and computers back then.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:48 AM   #7 
BettaHeart

I really cant pin point one particular cause, im more broad-spectrum lol
I do sponsor two girls, one 7 yr old for 4 yrs and one 5 yr old for 3 yrs, the kids and i will write, well i would write the kids would draw lol and seeing them grow is such a rewarding experience. The kids love getting the letters in return, mind you the places where the girls live are somewhat remote so it takes a bit of time but it is great to know the kids are learning about other children on the other side of the globe. I feel it helps them to be more aware there is a bigger world with many different people. I donate to various charities for abused children and animals.
There are only two types of people in the world: those who are good and do good deeds and those who are bad and do bad deeds.

hearing what everyone has said so far i think im lacking lol.
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #8 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I find it so cool to know what really touches people's hearts. :)
I love hearing about all these real life experiences too.
dramaqueen- it's crazy how many problems people have these days.. so many people go through all these mental illnesses, depressions.. My friend says it's all because of all the chemicals and preservatives we eat- which wouldn't surprise me, we probably unbalance our bodies so much with that garbage. I have depression of the s.a.d. type (lol love the abbreviation). It drives me nuts sometimes, it's only in the winter though, and usually if I get out enough it's not so bad. People tend to get frustrated at how anti social I become though, even if they know. :/ People say dogs are the best medicine, but I find just staring at my fish a lot more enjoyable than being with my dogs who are trying to claw my face off to lick me. xD

BettaHeart- I always thought it'd be so cool to be able to send letters to a child from another country. Of course my family would never do that now (since we aren't exactly the richest people around, haha) but I would want to once I was on my own and had the money. I do still manage to donate to the odd charity when I can, but I feel my current greatest help to society is volunteering at the soup kitchen in town :D It's so fun there, the people are so nice. I asked one of my friends if she wanted to go, and she was just like "ew there's creepy homeless people there." Such a shame the things people would think D:

Never really elaborated on my whole fresh water thing, it gets to me because we live right on Lake Ontario, in the "Land o Lakes." Camping, fishing, kayaking, going to the creek and catching frogs.. it's just such a special thing to me (note, I can't swim. I know so ironic.). And yet it just hurts that our great lake is SO filthy. A "great" fishing spot (which we don't use) is right beside a carpet factory that dumps tons of stuff into the water (less now, I'm guessing, but still bad things). The water there has been tested to have hundreds of carcinogens. And people eat those fish. Our fish/wildlife people advise us not to eat more than 2 fish a month from the lake, due to mercury in the fish. :/ Like, I'd rather not eat from there at all knowing that.
I know there must be a way to clean up our waters, just people don't seem to notice what they're doing, at all. It's really sad that soon all our waterways will just be toxic dumps. (so unlike our perfect betta homes;))
Old 03-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #9 
Aus

I have to pick one? Just one? /whine

Right now, I'm pretty fired up on fish cruelty, mainly as I've had a short, sharp education in the massive scope of it, and it's shocked me. I have a few plans to help that cause, a drop in the ocean, but the ocean's made of many small drops.

For the past two years, I've been doing research to help solve/revive really cold murder cases, most of them involving children. This is mainly to encourage (not pressure..) law enforcement agencies to re-examine them with new tests available now, like DNA. Many very old cases are being solved these days. But some were swept under the carpet many years ago and have been kept there, for a variety of reasons, and that irks me badly.

I need a break from it, though - it's a pretty depressing cause, and I need to get behind something more life-affirming.

I used to do a lot of advocacy for horse welfare, but physical limitations have made that hard (hassling people over cruelty in stockyards and selling unsafe equipment at auction to kids was my specialty, lol). So I'm happy to take up the cause of fish - after all, they have no voices...
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:38 PM   #10 
Rosso1011

This is a really tough one for me. I would like to see tougher laws on animal abuse and spaying/neutering.

I also would like to see something put in place for mandatory parenting/child development classes. In my field, I hear of too many parents trying to diagnose their children with disorders they probably don't have and parents relying on the public schools to raise their children because they really have no clue how to.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote