Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #1 
BettasRpeople2

New Baby Girl

I bought a new little girl yesterday from Petsmart. Today I noticed that she is having problems with her tail trying to float her. When she looks at her gravel, her tail floats up until she is completely vertical and nearly topples upside down. Her body also looks somewhat crooked when I look down at her from above. From reading other posts, it seems like she has SBD or is bloated. Since I just got her yesterday, it is hard to know what her tummy normally looks like, but it doesn't really look puffy to me. It's hard to tell. I fed her two pellets last night and two this morning, and she ate them really well. They are TopFin Color Enhancing Betta Bits. I picked out the smallest ones I could find because she is tiny.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 76
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? TopFin Color Enhancing Betta Bits
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets, twice a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Brand new set up yesterday.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Betta Bowl dechlorinator

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

I have not tested, but these should be fine since I just set up her bowl yesterday afternoon.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Her color has improved since she is in her new tank and out of that awful cup.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Other than the odd floating issues she is having, she acts very healthy and active
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)? She's very tiny. I would guess not more than 4-5 months although I am pretty new.

So, what do you guys think? Should I get her on Epsom? If so, how much? Do I need to fast her? If so, for how long? I didn't notice any problems with her yesterday, but she was so cute and spunky that I wasn't really watching her swimming patterns at all, not that she could swim much in that tiny little cup anyway.

Thank you guys for your help! I just want my new little baby to be healthy.
BettasRpeople2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

She may just need some time to let her system get running normally. The pellets that most stores use are often too big for the smaller bettas.

Give her some time to get regularity. If the problem persists after you've had her for a week, then start epsom at 1 tsp/gal (Dissolve first) and change her water every day. 7 days is usually all that's needed for this treatment. Even if you see improvement after the first day, continue through to make sure everything gets worked through.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #3 
BettasRpeople2

K, will do. Thanks Pata!
Old 03-15-2012, 10:36 AM   #4 
BettasRpeople2

Just wanted to let ya'll know that my little girl is doing great. I did end up doing a week of epsom on her, but we have finished that now and she is having no more issues. Thanks again, Pata for your advice. It is great that you guys take the time to help us all out with our fishies!