Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2012, 04:47 PM   #1 
FishyFishy89

Spikes Journal

I'll be posting day by day. Probly should of started this the day I got him, but I was keeping a mental journal. A more permanent journal would be better xD

I'll start at the very beginning:

Day 1: Was supposed to be only buying dog food. But being a fishy lover I just had to run through the aquatics end of PetsMart. Nearly 70-80% of the bettas that arrived when I purchased Cal had been bought. All were dropy and sad looking. Either laying at the bottom or floating at the top. Few were active, but none were as active as him.
He had 3 other bettas stacked ontop of his cup, and 3 around him. 1 behind and 2 at his sides. He twirled around flaring at his neighbors. Fluttering his big spiky fins. Then he turned and saw me. Did not flare. Instead he sat and watched me for a few moments, then he turned and fluttered his fins at me in a beautiful display. Right then, he caught my heart. Dealing with the sickness of Cal he was a bright and happy wittle betta eager to make me smile. Hubs wouldn't be happy to see another fish coming home, but he wants me to be happy and then I was very much down in the dumps.
I get home and begin to slowly acclimate him to his new tank water. Via someone's idea on BettaFish :) I poured him into my reserved fishy bucket, started up the siphon , knoted a knot in the center of the line to a drip and thus began the 30 mins of adjustment. 45 mins later I scooped him into a sandwich baggie and began to float him for 20 mins to acclimate him to the temp in the tank. 25 mins later he was released.
He explored every inch of his new home. Swimming through the logs and every little hole he could fit his head into. Swimming past the filter he must of saw his reflection and he started flaring.
When night time came I saw he picked his favorite spot.

Day 2: Spike was laying inside his log. I dropped some pellets in to feed him. They immediately fell to the bottom due to the water flow. Spike saw them fall and ate all of them and then swam back into his log. All morning he stayed in his log. Only coming out to get air and quickly swimming back into his log.
I thought it was because he was just settling in. But in the back of my mind I knew something was bothering him. So thus I began a search to baffle the water flow. And I rigged a water bottle baffle and out came Spike happily swimming around again. :)

Day 3: Spike swam to the front to be fed. He is his usual active self, swimming around and spreading his fins very wide. Everytime I come to watch him he is always at the front showing off his fins to me :)

Day 4: I purchased a light that would be less brighter and would still light the kitchen for hubs. I check on Spike different hours of the night making sure it is not bothering him. He sleeps inside the log with the plant woven inside it.
He also met me at the front for feeding time :)

Day 5: Spike is now starting to beat me to feeding time. I think he is starting to catch on what time I get up in the morning. I seriously need to take a photo of feeding time, or a video :)
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:41 PM   #2 
FishyFishy89

Day 5(night time): I noticed Spike seemed to be having difficultly getting comfortable last night. I decided to refill hubs water cup/turn off Spike's light for the night. I also decided that since I will be getting a new live plant for his tank that I probably should change the lighting time.

Morning of day 6: Made a video of Spike's feeding time. He is beginning to figure where his food is at, and what container his food is in :) I love watching him show off his fins to me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVZKj-Y8aQQ
Old 02-25-2012, 08:41 PM   #3 
FishyFishy89

Day 6 (evening): While brewing some tea I decided to watch Spike swimming around. He really enjoys his big home :)
Here is a bit of the swimming I recorded:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDiVArtDHfA
Old 02-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #4 
FishyFishy89

Day 7 (morning): Fed Spike what was supposed to be 2 or 3 pellets. Turned into 4 pellets because I thought it looked SO small. Next week I'm gonna get some Omega One Betta Buffet. I just noticed today that his current food is near expiration. Although, right now it may not be benefiting him...just giving him a full tummy.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #5 
FishyFishy89

Evening of Day 7: SPIKE MADE A BUBBLE NEST!!! I am so proud of him. It has been a while since any of my bettas have made a bubble nest. He was swimming back n forth like "Mommy. Mommy. Look. Look. I did good right?!"
I had been planning to put a styrofoam cup in there to give him an area with some what still water for bubble building. But he made use outta the corner today :)
It isn't big or anything, but I am still proud of mea baby

Old 02-27-2012, 10:38 PM   #6 
FishyFishy89

Day 8 (bit of a summary): I did his water change while I was thawing out the hamburger meat in the sink.
I pulled out about 1.5 gallon of his original water. And when I put in the new water he acted a little weird, mostly hid in his log. I think it may have been because the new water wasn't the same temp as the original....should I be raising the temp of the new water with the heater/then adding it to his tank?
Later on once the temp was back to normal he was his active self.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:42 PM   #7 
dmuddle

Thats awesome he seems to be thriving it is good that he has made a bubble nest maybe you could attempt breeding.
dmuddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:45 PM   #8 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmuddle View Post
Thats awesome he seems to be thriving it is good that he has made a bubble nest maybe you could attempt breeding.
I've attempted breeding before with 1 of my earlier bettas. It is more difficult than it looks and I had felt pretty horrible when the babies died :'(
Old 02-27-2012, 10:49 PM   #9 
dmuddle

it is a bit tricky they make it sound easy but on average 90% of the babies die
Old 02-27-2012, 10:50 PM   #10 
dmuddle

So I take it you like Betta's, I reckon they are great. I've had two one was drago and the other called brom