Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #21 
Aus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
Day 8 (bit of a summary): when I put in the new water he acted a little weird, mostly hid in his log. I think it may have been because the new water wasn't the same temp as the original....should I be raising the temp of the new water with the heater/then adding it to his tank?
Yup. Though I age my water to avoid potentially dangerous bubbles - so I cup Sid, put the aged, conditioned water in the tank and then raise the tank temp back up. Then float Sid half an hour or so, adding a little new water to the cup every now and then. The cup water doesn't get too cold, as it's summer here. In winter, I might get a small heat pad to set the cup on. He gets way less stressed when I do changes this way - even likes the cup, as he gets a snack during and after the water change, so he knows the cup means food, lol.

Bettas don't like sudden changes, particularly of temperature, it can put them into shock, so however you do your routine changes, make sure the water is an even temp for him all through it.

I love the pic of Spike peeking out of his log - would it be okay if I attempted to draw him from that picture?
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #22 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
Yup. Though I age my water to avoid potentially dangerous bubbles - so I cup Sid, put the aged, conditioned water in the tank and then raise the tank temp back up. Then float Sid half an hour or so, adding a little new water to the cup every now and then. The cup water doesn't get too cold, as it's summer here. In winter, I might get a small heat pad to set the cup on. He gets way less stressed when I do changes this way - even likes the cup, as he gets a snack during and after the water change, so he knows the cup means food, lol.

Bettas don't like sudden changes, particularly of temperature, it can put them into shock, so however you do your routine changes, make sure the water is an even temp for him all through it.

I love the pic of Spike peeking out of his log - would it be okay if I attempted to draw him from that picture?
Thanks
I've been thinking about cupping him during his water changes anyhow, so acclimating him would great.
I totally wouldn't mind. I'd love seeing the seeing the end result :)
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #23 
FishyFishy89

Day 17: Gave Spike his 4 pellets today. Still very much the little piggy he was the day I got him.
Still very active as well. I'm super happy he has made it this far and is it a very happy and healthy fishy.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #24 
FishyFishy89

I noted that today and yesterday Spike had been swimming with his fine closed lot more often than usual. HOWEVER, he made a huge and thick bubble nest today. Usually he would swim with his fins slightly shut and once stopped he'd almost completely open his fins.
When we came back after eating out he was opening his fine quite a bit. But he was right under his bubble nest. I'll keep a close eye on him.

I have also tested his water. Everything is in line.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:40 PM   #25 
FishyFishy89

Spike was doing better today. Kept his fins opened more. However it was feeding time and hubs was rushing me out the door >:/
I'll be home in another hour or so to see him. :)
Old 03-12-2012, 09:09 PM   #26 
FishyFishy89

did Spikes water change today and slowly acclimated him in his cup. He reacted so much more better. He wasn't moppy afterwords :) I decided to also give him a pellet for going into his cup.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #27 
FishyFishy89

Forgot to fast Spike yesterday. Stop being so adorable in the morning Spike!!! xD
So I fasted him today. He'll have to wait for his brine shrimp. He's mad at me. Oh well ;)
Old 03-14-2012, 09:31 PM   #28 
lvandert

hmm, maybe I should give them all a fast day too. I usually feed them either 3 pellets or 2 blood worms twice. Although they wont like it. Lol I have to laugh when I read this because my bird's name is Spike
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #29 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
hmm, maybe I should give them all a fast day too. I usually feed them either 3 pellets or 2 blood worms twice. Although they wont like it. Lol I have to laugh when I read this because my bird's name is Spike
LOL
Spike gets VERY mad at me for fasting him. He will flare at me the entire day. But I give him frozen brine shrimp the next day ;)
Old 03-14-2012, 10:06 PM   #30 
lvandert

I dont have frozen brine shrimps though. Maybe after pay day I'll buy some
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote