Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2012, 04:29 PM   #1 
juliusabby86

Unhappy White Cottony Stuff?

Julius is my male betta and he has lately developed white cottony stuff that trails off his body. He acts naturally overall, and I feed him once a day. I have tried Maracyn I and II, changing the water frequently (every two-three days), and using aquarium salt. Is it his slime coat that's been affected? He lives in a gallon bowl. Thanks for your help.
juliusabby86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

In a gallon bowl, you want to change the water 100% every 3 days.

What temperature is the tank at, and do you use a water conditioner of any sorts?

Tap water has chlorine and metals in it that are harmful for fish, so decholorinator removes and breaks down these substances into far less harmful forms.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #3 
juliusabby86

The water is at room temperature, which is normally around 80 degrees or so - but he's not shown any of the unusual cotton stuff last year. I am using Prime water conditioner. I figure that it's good for my goldfish, so it will be good for my bettas. Also, could this slime coat shedding be caused by stress? For instance, I had a mirror on my desk for about a week or so - which I removed today. Could his flare up cause him stress so bad that his coat would be coming off? I am learning that goldfish and betta are so different, so please don't berate me for my ignorance. I feel I do that rather well.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #4 
Pataflafla

Prime is usually the conditioner recommended on this site. There's no issue with that.

Does the room temperature fluctuate greatly throughout the day? Water temperature is 2 degrees cooler than air temperature, so that should be considered too.

Stress could be a major part in shedding of slime coat, but I've never experienced such drastic reaction to me moving stuff around my tank. Is he on something stable? If not, he could be feeling vibrations from walking or being knocked around a little bit on a wobbly table.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:42 PM   #5 
juliusabby86

The room temperature doesn't really fluctuate all that much. I have placed him off my desk, which - due to my Lucy Ball moments - does have its moments of shakes.

Also, here is a video of how he looks. I placed him in a 1/4 gallon for his water change today, which is what he's in in the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwEzY...ature=youtu.be

Could this be happening to him because of his stress?
Old 02-25-2012, 05:25 PM   #6 
Pataflafla

That is strange.

for now, try doing 100% daily changes and 1 tsp/gal aquarium salt (Dissolve first). You'll want ot redo the salt after each water change. Do this for about 7 days (10 maximum). If you don't see any improvement or you see him decline, then try out 2 tsp/gal and 100% daily changes.

The aquarium salt should help him get rid of any loose slime coat and keep infection at bay while he makes a new one.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:56 PM   #7 
spazoid

poor little guy, i hope he gets well!
spazoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:08 PM   #8 
popcornprincess

white cottony stuff? my betta has that too. fungal infection, you need medicine. but it is strange that your betta is acting normally with this infection. he isnt lethargic at all?
popcornprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:21 PM   #9 
Silverfang

I gotta admit, that is wild. I'd be more inclined to say slime coat shedding than fungus or the evil C. It's just so LONG. I'll refer a friend who has better experience.

Poor boy, here's hoping it was just from stress.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:59 PM   #10 
juliusabby86

Thanks. It looks as though it's disappearing. I have my fingers crossed and am keeping up the water changes and salt.