Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #1 
EvilVOG

Selling and shipping

Well i'm at least a month or two off from selling any of my fry, so i need to get my ducks in a row about shipping them when the time comes, so what do you use/ where do you get it would be helpful...

And i also have an over-abundance of duckweed, and was considering selling some. Would i need to ship that with a heat pack and/or the same considerations for shipping fish?
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:46 PM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I have never actually shipped them. But this is how I receive them:

Summer:
Layer 1: clear plastic a little bigger/wider than the betta filled about it's length. Tied so that there's air about the half or the same amount as the water.
Layer 2: Clear plastic - Turn the first plastic (with betta in it) up side down and put it in the second plastic bag. Tie it up tight.
Layer 3: Old news paper - wrap the bag with old news paper.
Layer 4: add a tiny bit of water, just enough to wet the news paper. Put everything in the plastic bag and tie it up tight.

*** You could skip the third plastic bag and the wet newspaper if you think it won't be that hot. But wrap the bag with paper so the betta can't see anything beyond the bag.
In my country heat could really get crazy. So it would be safer to use the wet paper layer.

Get styrofoam (?) and make a box. Add a layer of wrinkled (?) news paper (for cushion). Place the bag up right and secure with more wrinkled newspaper so that the bag wont move if the box were shaken.

Temp should be fairly stable - cool.

Winter:
Mostly the same. Only 2 layers of plastic bag. and add a heat pack in the styrofoam box.

*** If you're shipping through airline service, Use those flexible type of plastic (in my area there are 3 types of clear plastic bags - regular, flexible, and heat tolerant) and don't make the plastic bag firm and tight. Make it a little deflated (?) so it won't burst if it goes into a non pressurized chamber (in the plane). They shouldn't put it in a non pressurized chamber, but just in case ..... hope I'm making sense.

Not sure about the duck weed. IMO as long as the water doesn't freeze, they should be OK in the cold for a short period. Use more plants than water - since duck weeds are floating plants - only the roots need to stay wet

Again - this is how I receive them.

Last edited by indjo; 02-25-2012 at 01:50 PM.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #3 
EvilVOG

made perfect sense to me. Thanks for your input. Where i live is slightly less tropical lol. Today's high was 35 F, or right around 2 C.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote