Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #1 
SeniorD

Floating in a jar...

Okay, so I have a 10g tank, two heaters and an air filter. There are three females and a baby in there now(I bought the baby from Pet Smart). I have a male floating in there in a mason jar right now. He isn't flaring up at any of them(Including the baby.) and has even brought all four out from hiding. So what do you all think, am I safe to release him? He seems pretty calm...
SeniorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:22 AM   #2 
JBosley

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorD View Post
Okay, so I have a 10g tank, two heaters and an air filter. There are three females and a baby in there now(I bought the baby from Pet Smart). I have a male floating in there in a mason jar right now. He isn't flaring up at any of them(Including the baby.) and has even brought all four out from hiding. So what do you all think, am I safe to release him? He seems pretty calm...
It isn't recommended to put a Male Betta in with Females.... the Male should have his own tank.
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:28 AM   #3 
Myates

Is the baby a female? 4 females is the bare minimum and would actually recommend one or two more depending upon if you have other fish in the tank.
To bring the females out more from hiding, make sure the tank is very densely planted will help build their confidence and security.

Males should never be with females unless you are breeding, in which case it's only for the mating process, and even then they will fight and a lot of times one will die. They may not be flaring or doing much right now, but that is because they know there is a barrier.. adding the male in will ensure that one or most likely more, will be harmed and/or killed. They may not fight immediately, but they will fight in a short time.
The only way males and females have been able to be successful (and by that there are still issues) is going a few generations of keeping them together in a very large tank.. it takes multiple generations and a very long time to attempt it.. as well as large tanks of 75 gallons and up- at which point you may be able to keep a male in with females.. even then it's a high risk.

Highly recommended to not put them together, as in the wild neither of the sexes want to live near another.. we can just force it upon the females sometimes, and even those tend to have issues and failed sororities at some given point.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote