Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2012, 08:34 PM   #1 
Arroyo1291

Bloated betta

Hi all,

So I've got a crowntail who's been bloated for the last few days. I suspect it's because I've given him too many freeze dried bloodworms over the last few weeks. anyway he's acting perfectly normal. He swims around curiously and he gets all excited when I come to the tank. I've tried fasting him for the last 2 days with the exception of a bit of de-shelled pea this morning. His appetite is fine as I'm sure if I dumped the whole container of pellets in there he'd go for it all.

Anyway I think the pea has helped bring the swelling down a bit but I'm just curious as to how long the de-swelling should take. Should I only keep feeding him bits of pea once a day until it's gone and in a week if he still looks like this should I be worried?
Arroyo1291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:59 AM   #2 
Arroyo1291

ok so I came home tonight and unfortunately my little guy is not looking good. The bloating is still there and it looks like a white dot is where his anus should be. I'm not sure if it's puss or blocked poop but I'm worried because now he's being very apathetic. He's just laying at the bottom of his bowl and he looks like he's having a hard time keeping himself up right.

I've heard epsom salt could make him get rid of all that stuff.. another possibility I've read could be some kind of internal parasite. What should I do? =(
Old 03-02-2012, 01:09 AM   #3 
callistra

Start him on epsom salt and no more food for now. Bettas can go weeks with no food so just forget about feeding for now while we work on the bloat..1/2 to 1 tsp per gallon predissolved. I would prepare to treat for internal infection too...either a medicated feed with metrodazinole or metro, a good soaking pellet (not nls) focus and garlic guard or kent's garlic juice if you can find it. Monitor poop carefully and see how much he goes and what it looks like. You can leave his bottom bare to see more easily.

freeze dried foods should always be presoaked for at least 10 minutes

Share photos? Are his scales sticking out? What and how much do you feed him on a daily basis? Does he get at least one fast day a week?

Last edited by callistra; 03-02-2012 at 01:14 AM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:42 AM   #4 
Myates

Photos would be helpful.. peas aren't ideal, but can be used as a one time trial to see if it helps.

I wouldn't go for medications at this point.. he's just now starting to exhibit signs of actual bloating other then just a rounded large belly. Bloating involves other symptoms such as lethargy, tilting (not sbd related), etc.

I agree on the Epsom, but should be 1-2 tsp per gallon, daily 100% water change.. half a tsp won't really make a difference. The white spot could just him trying to push out waste.. white spots isn't a sign of internal parasites. Normally internal parasites have fish losing weight even though eating.. and sometimes a rounded belly.. but you would see stringy white waste. If his waste looks normal, then most likely he is a bit constipated.
Fast for 3-4 days while on Epsom and see if he goes to the bathroom, and if he does, what does his waste look like..

Low quality food, and food that is just empty calories (such as freeze dried, peas, some brands of pellets/flakes.. even some frozen food) can cause constipation easily when over fed.

Soaking food in water prior to feeding will not make sure bloating/constipation doesn't happen.. as the stomach doesn't work that way to cause it. It's over feeding that does it, and over feeding food that isn't ideal for them.
Soaking the food prior to use is actually causing the nutrition to leach out of the food- it's a process that happens as soon as the food touches water, to processed and freeze dried the same. Soaking will actually give them even less nutrition along with not ideal food to begin with.

Ideally, 2-3 blood worms once or twice a week is more then enough to feed them..

Good luck to you!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:21 AM   #5 
Arroyo1291

thanks for the advice. I'll be picking up the salt today after work. Quick question.. I have a couple of live plants and a baffled HOB filter in there. Should I remove them while I have the salt in there?
Old 03-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #6 
Myates

Epsom Salt (no fragrance and no dye) is gentle and safe to use with plants.. but for best results/treatment, daily 100% water changes is recommended. Also a bare-bottom to keep an eye on waste. Do you have a small tupperware container you can use to secure at the top of the tank? Or a small QT tank to use during treatment?
It's important to keep him separated from his home tank that is set up such as that and cycled, not only to keep an eye on his waste- but to make the 100% water changes easier and if he gets worse and can't swim very well you can lower the water level down to a few inches.. and to save your cycle.

Almost anything is fine to use- as long as it's clean and there is no soap residue. Even the cup he came in would work. You can even use a gallon water jug cut in half to hold him in- anything with an open top I suggest placing seran wrap over the top held on by tape or a rubber band so it doesn't collapse into the water.. and a few holes punched in it for air.. they are quite the jumpers.
If you can't get it to float, then keep it in the warmest part of your home with a towel wrapped around the sides to keep the warmth in.

If the container is less then a gallon, you can use a clean water/milk jug (thoroughly rinsed out-no soap) to mix in the Epsom Salt, conditioner and water to make the daily water changes easier. Always make sure the salt is dissolved before adding your guy into it.

Epsom is safe for them.. it's a form of laxative that will help reduce swelling/bloating. You can get it at most pharmacies or stores with a pharmacy section.

If he goes to the bathroom, can swim normal and his waste looks a normal brown then you can release him back into his home 12-24 hrs after he looks/acts/swims normal.

If after 5-8 days and no improvement, let us know.. if his waste is white and stringy, let us know asap. If he starts to show signs of more illnesses, such as loss of color, gasping for breath, scales sticking up.. let us know asap. Hopefully he is just bloated.. but we won't know for sure unless he shows more signs. For now, the only thing that is best for him, less stressful and safe on his organs is the Epsom.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:10 AM   #7 
Arroyo1291

I will do that. His "home tank is 2.5 gallons and unfortunately the only thing I can put him in during treatment will be a tiny bowl he originally came in. But I appreciate the advice and the fact that you seemed as concerned as I do it really means a lot. I'll definitely let you know how sushi is looking in the next few days. Thanks so much!
Old 03-02-2012, 04:03 PM   #8 
Myates

What type of live plant do you have, and how many? What type of substrate do you have? It may be possible to use the home tank, but I don't want to disrupt the plant if it's rooted and soiled.

It's nice to hear that :) I care about all animals.. but mostly it's because I know what it feels like to worry and stress over a pet, an animal you care about. So if I can help relieve some of the stress and help the owners, I will. It makes a difference.. if an owner knows what is going on and what needs to be done, then there is a good chance at saving the pet and not having a heart broken owner.

And definitely keep us updated!

Last edited by Myates; 03-02-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:48 PM   #9 
Arroyo1291

Unfortunately I came home with the salt and found him dead and somehow caught in the filter. I'm not sure if he got pulled In and drowned or simply died and the filters current pulled him in. Thank you for all the support though.. A new crowntail was already ordered by my mom (not sure how I feel about getting a new betta just yet) and he'll be here Tuesday. Just wanted to give some closure to the topic but again I appreciate the advice and I will definitely take it to keeping my next little guy healthy. R.I.P sushi