Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-18-2007, 04:20 AM   #1 
dm800

I got my new tank for the my betta. Any tips?

I posted awhile ago about a tank recommendation for my betta and I bought the 5 gal hex tank because it looked nice but the heater I bought stopped working and also the filter doesn't always start up when I plug it back in (I have to tap on it sometimes to get it going), so with these problems right from the start I am bringing it back.

I bought a 10 gallon setup tonight at Petco and have it filled and running now. I am happy with it, it looks great where it is. I just want some tips before I put the fish in it. I took some gravel out of the old one and got some more and have that in there, and a few plants that I had in the old one. The other thank just started getting a little algae on the tank itself and on the leaves of the plants (I think it was algae, it was dark colored and it wiped right off). So I wiped those clean and put them in the new tank. I am not sure what they are,they have big leaves on 4 of the plants and I have 2 small ones with skinny needle shaped leaves. I used Stress Coat for the dechlorinator and put some Leaf Zone in there too that a salesman recommended for the plants. I still have to get some kind of rock cave or something.

Anyways, I just wanted to make sure I am doing everything right for the fish and for the plants, and what I can do to prevent that algae from growing in this new one. As far as putting in the betta, should I just put him in tomorrow or the next day, or should I cycle this without him in it? Then maybe in a month or so I can think about putting in some other fish.
dm800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 05:19 AM   #2 
willow

hi
what did you do with the other filter ?
willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:25 AM   #3 
dm800

The other filter is built in to the tank so it has to go back with the rest of it. It has a biowheel in it though. Were you thinking about using it for bacteria?
Old 11-18-2007, 03:16 PM   #4 
willow

hi
yes i was,it would have been a great help to you,
if you could have used media for the new filter.
is there any way you could remove the wheel
(sorry i have never used a wheel before)
and swish it around in the new tank ?
Old 11-18-2007, 03:22 PM   #5 
dm800

Yes the wheel just comes right out. Should I float the filter in there too, or put them both in my filter box if they fit? How long do you think I should leave these in here? I guess I could put my fish in there now then if I do that, right?
Old 11-19-2007, 03:17 AM   #6 
willow

yep go for it,
that will help your fish,because it won't be swimming
around in all the toxins,until the new filter
builds up it's colany,and as the water will be
warm,the bacteria should multiply quicker.