Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2012, 11:08 PM   #1 
dmtj

how do you keep them warm while changing the water?

I know because of my previous heater question that fish are stressed by temp changes. I have a 1 gal tank so I did a 100% change today and she got cold really quickly in her little cup while I was doing the change.

I know the water change is stressful enough without adding in a temp variation.

Deb
dmtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:19 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

I heat my new water before water changes in a large plastic container so I just float the cup in that container while doing the water change.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:56 PM   #3 
scootshoot

I leave my replacement conditioned water for each of my tanks sitting around days in advance. Allows them to age and reach room temperature as I never liked the finger under the faucet guess method.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:06 AM   #4 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Vilmarisv has the best suggestion.

I use (well)water straight from the tap, so I place my cups (with Betta in) between two layers of thick towels. I only lose a degree or two with this method. (I use a digital thermometer, so I know.)

And, of course I float them in the new tank water to get them up to temp before acclimating.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:00 AM   #5 
Myates

Wrap in a towel if you wish.. use a glass aquarium thermometer to make sure the new water going in the tank is approx what the heater is set at to get it to the correct temp quicker. When you do more 100%s you will get to the point to where they are only in their cup waiting to be floated for no longer then a few minutes.

You honestly don't need to age water as water conditioners tend to work instantly.. and you rather get the water warmer then room temp, as the water will be a few degrees cooler then the room temp... since you should have a heater with them, taking the water straight from the tap at the correct temp would be better- don't have to wait for the temp to warm up in the tank, etc. Just use a glass aquarium thermometer (or digital) to get the temp right and you're all set.

Vil has a good idea to use if plausible for you- just get the water ready before then do the change... just use the hot setting on the faucet. I would go a few degrees warmer (80-82*F) so if it does cool down, it won't be too much.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:34 AM   #6 
Leeniex

I do my changes very fast and get them floating again within ten minutes. If you use the finger in the tap method, you will get used to the right temp. I get mine very close to 80 degrees just by feel.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #7 
daniomania

i just take the old tank water thtathey were living in and put it in a jar and put the betta in... do thenwater change and then net the betta back in the new water!
daniomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:51 PM   #8 
freemike

I actually fill their holders with the old tank water. As far as my new water I just turn on my tap hot and cold full blast and get 80*. I doubt that would work for everyone but it works with my particular system.
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:49 PM   #9 
callistra

Preheating the water in separate containers is best. I have a fish room (seldom used bathroom) with digital floor heater I keep at 82 which keeps fish water about 78 and my boys go there during water changes. I also age water in gallon milk jugs in the same heated room.

Last edited by callistra; 02-25-2012 at 04:52 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:29 PM   #10 
JBosley

I have 2 extra fish tanks sitting around, one is a 0.9 gal and one is a 2 gal kritter keeper. I have heaters for both! So what I do is choose one, fill it with treated water, let it sit with the heater on until it is the same temperature as his usual tank (80F) and then put him in there Keeps him nice and warm while I clean his 5 gal! Then he doesn't have the temperature shock, because I leave his 5 gal tank to get up to it's normal 80F before adding him back to it.
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote