Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2012, 11:05 PM   #1 
amaru45

Refuses to eat! Please help!

I have a male crown tail that i received as a gift about 2 months ago. Everything has been fine and he seems happy up until about a week ago. He suddenly started refusing to eat. I had changed his water about 4 days before he stopped eating. I don't see anything abnormal about him and have looked back on some pictures I took of him the day i got him. He looks the same. He doesn't appear to have any of the physical symptoms of any of the sicknesses I've read about. He still floats and swims around normally. I immediately panicked and began researching what the problem could be. I was thinking that maybe he was just constipated. I had been out of town the past 2 weekends and my roommate was left to feed him. I thought maybe my roommate accidentally over fed him. And just in case it was a sickness, i bought some medicine from Petco which is made by "Aquarium Solutions" and called "Betta Revive". I moved him to a different tank and treated the water with the medicine. It tinted the water blue. Then to try and help if it is constipation, i tried feeding him some peas. I've been medicating and changing his water daily for 3 or 4 days now with no signs of improvement. I did notice he pooped a little bit yesterday while i was at work and a bit today as well. It's light colored with a little darker on the end of it. So I'm not sure if it's constipation anymore. I bought a different kind of food (flakes) but he wants nothing to do with those either. I'm at a loss at this point. I don't know what to do next or what could be wrong.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 74-78
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Alone

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Food (pellets)
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice daily

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
Tetra Betta Safe
Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: N/A
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? No
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Stopped eating
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Almost a week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Tried "Betta Revive" and changing food to "Tetra BettaMin" (flakes)
Does your fish have any history of being ill? First time being sick
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him since the first of the year, he's a few months probably.
amaru45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:37 PM   #2 
callistra

If he has a filter why are you changing the water 100%? Take a look in the general forum for how to cycle a tank.

He needs a heater. So this is a source of his stress.

Try different pellets.. Omega One Betta Buffet (feed 3-4 a day) or New Life Spectrum Betta try 6 to 8 a day. Split up feedings to twice a day and one fast day a week.

How is he handling the filter? Have you baffled it/done anything to reduce the current? It could be stressing him out.

I wouldn't use Betta Revive. It's got a bunch of totally different strong ingredients kinda thrown in there as a "treat all tonic". One of the ingredients is toxic. I guess since you've started it continue for however long the bottle says one round is and do 100% change and no more meds. He should be pooping daily. If he's not he could be constipated.. You can keep the bottom bare to monitor poop and see how often he goes.

Last edited by callistra; 02-25-2012 at 01:39 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:54 PM   #3 
amaru45

I'm changing the water 100% every week because i found it hard to find information on changing the water when the tank has a filter. It's a 5 gallon tank. And no the filter isn't baffled. I have noticed that he doesn't like the current, and there is a bit of one in there. But he has been fine for 2 months and this all just started recently. The Betta Revive said to use it for at least 3 days, it's been 4 or 5 now, so i'll do a complete water change and discontinue use. I moved him into a bowl when I started medicating him so it would require less medicine in a smaller space, and because I didn't know if maybe there was some kind of bacteria in the tank. So I got him out of there asap. I just got home from work and he did not poop today.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #4 
FishyFishy89

try baffling the filter this way:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139
Other users have used sponges to baffle their filters as plastic can be a tad sharp once cut.

I would also recommend getting a heater and upping the temp to 80-82F. Bettas are tropical fish and thus prefer to live in warmer temps.

I would feed him once daily. Either in the morning, lunch time or dinner. I feed my bettas 4-5 pellets daily. If you really want to keep it twice daily split that amount up. Example, feed 2-3 pellets in the morning and 2-3 pellets at night.

Like Callistra, I wouldn't recommend using the Betta Revive. Just too much chemicals for comfort.

Once you've gotten a heater, adjusted temp correctly, and baffled the filter and he is STILL not eating. Maybe start letting him fast. Don't feed him. Also, how does his belly look? Is is round, flat, bloated?
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #5 
amaru45

Okay I'm definitely going to baffle the filter. That's probably making him pretty uncomfy. I've tried to back down on feeding him as much. It's been once daily now and he doesn't touch the food. So far today I have fasted him. How long can he be fasted for? Doing this makes me uneasy lol. As far as bloating... I don't think so. I have a picture of him on the day I got him and I took another picture like 2 days ago and he looks the same to me.... I'm not sure how to add pictures here, but if you click on my pictures, I have them posted there. I have the oldest and most recent labeled. Should I try feeding him peas again? I know I've read that Betta's can't properly digest them though :/
Old 02-25-2012, 09:30 PM   #6 
amaru45

The day I got him... http://www.bettafish.com/album.php?a...ictureid=22589

2 days ago... http://www.bettafish.com/album.php?a...ictureid=22594
Old 02-25-2012, 09:39 PM   #7 
FishyFishy89

His belly appears to be quite round. I'd fast him for a coupla days. Until you see a quite large poop.
Not sure on what betta poops look like. I never really paid attention to mine xD
Old 02-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #8 
amaru45

How long can I fast him before I should start worrying about killing him?
Old 02-25-2012, 09:46 PM   #9 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaru45 View Post
How long can I fast him before I should start worrying about killing him?
comfortably?...5 days?
Old 02-25-2012, 09:52 PM   #10 
amaru45

Is there anything else I could feed him to help? Are peas even a good idea?