Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2012, 10:00 PM   #11 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaru45 View Post
Is there anything else I could feed him to help? Are peas even a good idea?
I've heard of a few users hear giving peas after fasting their bettas. I haven't personally given 1 tho. I've yet to get a betta who refuses to eat/or is having bowel movement issues.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:11 PM   #12 
Myates

Feeding once a day can easily cause bloating/constipation, etc.. as mentioned earlier feeding small multiple times a day, at least twice, is the most recommended way of feeding. Feeding once a day will either over feed, or not provide enough nutrition.

A betta can go around a month without eating, but the danger zone starts at around 2 weeks. A 2-3 fasting is normally recommended with bettas who may be bloated/constipated. It is safe, but your guy may not like it.

Go ahead and do the 100% to clean out the home tank if you have medication in there.. or if you have a carbon filter, you can place the carbon back in and it will remove the medication- just change out the carbon filter afterwards.

For cleaning a 5 gallon properly it depends on whether or not you have live plants, as that will determine just how much water to change each week. Along with your cycle (since we know it isn't cycled at this point).

Once you fill up the tank with new water (if you go that route over the carbon filter), you will want to test your water on a daily basis over the next 4-6 weeks- or if you do not have a liquid test kit and can not get one, Petco/Petsmart tend to test for free. In that case, I would take it over there as often as you are able to during the week. As tanks that are attempting to cycle can and do have spikes in the chemistry, such as ammonia, which can be harmful/deadly to fish.
Fish-in cycles tend to be hard on a fish, but it's doable.
If you test for ammonia during the 4-6 weeks, you will want to do a small water change to bring it down.
Here is an easy guide to cycling.. it's not really all that hard, just takes some time and commitment.

On a normal cleaning schedule (with no live plants.. if you have live plants let us know how many) for a 5 gallon you are looking at roughly 30-50% per week of a water change. When doing the weekly water change you are going to want to vacuum/siphon the gravel (I would but a small siphon you can get fairly cheap).. as filters don't remove the waste, but rather hides it.
So use the siphon each week to vacuum the gravel in the tank, only take out 30-50% of the water while doing so.
When replacing the water, use a glass aquarium thermometer to get the temp of the new water to be the same as the old water. A lot of people use buckets to carry the water in, so you can get the temp just right.
When done filling the tank back up, put in your water conditioner for the whole volume of the tank.

I recommend removing your betta during this process, to reduce risk of chemistry change shock (to put it in layman's terms).. use his cup you got him in if you have it.. after you fill up the tank, remove a bit of the water from the cup and replace it with water from the tank.. let him adjust over a 10-15 minute period, removing/replacing the water a total of at least 2 times.
Clean out your filter media each time, swish it in old tank water you had siphoned to get rid of trapped debris.
Carbon filters should be changed monthly, sponge filters should be changed once it starts to fall apart.

That is the recommended water change schedule for a tank your size, non-planted.

I would also recommend using a sponge as the baffle..

Your pellets aren't necessarily bad, but the protein is a bit low.. continue with pellets, but I recommend Omega One Betta Buffet or New Life Spectrum Betta pellets.. as mentioned prior by callistra.
I personally prefer the Omega brand.. I use those in between live foods and home made betta food.. and for my picky eaters who will only eat pellets.

Good luck and any more questions please feel free to ask!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:20 PM   #13 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Feeding once a day can easily cause bloating/constipation, etc.. as mentioned earlier feeding small multiple times a day, at least twice, is the most recommended way of feeding. Feeding once a day will either over feed, or not provide enough nutrition.

A betta can go around a month without eating, but the danger zone starts at around 2 weeks. A 2-3 fasting is normally recommended with bettas who may be bloated/constipated. It is safe, but your guy may not like it.

Go ahead and do the 100% to clean out the home tank if you have medication in there.. or if you have a carbon filter, you can place the carbon back in and it will remove the medication- just change out the carbon filter afterwards.

For cleaning a 5 gallon properly it depends on whether or not you have live plants, as that will determine just how much water to change each week. Along with your cycle (since we know it isn't cycled at this point).

Once you fill up the tank with new water (if you go that route over the carbon filter), you will want to test your water on a daily basis over the next 4-6 weeks- or if you do not have a liquid test kit and can not get one, Petco/Petsmart tend to test for free. In that case, I would take it over there as often as you are able to during the week. As tanks that are attempting to cycle can and do have spikes in the chemistry, such as ammonia, which can be harmful/deadly to fish.
Fish-in cycles tend to be hard on a fish, but it's doable.
If you test for ammonia during the 4-6 weeks, you will want to do a small water change to bring it down.
Here is an easy guide to cycling.. it's not really all that hard, just takes some time and commitment.

On a normal cleaning schedule (with no live plants.. if you have live plants let us know how many) for a 5 gallon you are looking at roughly 30-50% per week of a water change. When doing the weekly water change you are going to want to vacuum/siphon the gravel (I would but a small siphon you can get fairly cheap).. as filters don't remove the waste, but rather hides it.
So use the siphon each week to vacuum the gravel in the tank, only take out 30-50% of the water while doing so.
When replacing the water, use a glass aquarium thermometer to get the temp of the new water to be the same as the old water. A lot of people use buckets to carry the water in, so you can get the temp just right.
When done filling the tank back up, put in your water conditioner for the whole volume of the tank.

I recommend removing your betta during this process, to reduce risk of chemistry change shock (to put it in layman's terms).. use his cup you got him in if you have it.. after you fill up the tank, remove a bit of the water from the cup and replace it with water from the tank.. let him adjust over a 10-15 minute period, removing/replacing the water a total of at least 2 times.
Clean out your filter media each time, swish it in old tank water you had siphoned to get rid of trapped debris.
Carbon filters should be changed monthly, sponge filters should be changed once it starts to fall apart.

That is the recommended water change schedule for a tank your size, non-planted.

I would also recommend using a sponge as the baffle..

Your pellets aren't necessarily bad, but the protein is a bit low.. continue with pellets, but I recommend Omega One Betta Buffet or New Life Spectrum Betta pellets.. as mentioned prior by callistra.
I personally prefer the Omega brand.. I use those in between live foods and home made betta food.. and for my picky eaters who will only eat pellets.

Good luck and any more questions please feel free to ask!

Well you learn something new everyday :)
I trust Myates advice alot. Looks like I'll be feeding twice daily ;)
Old 02-25-2012, 10:21 PM   #14 
Myates

Quote:
Is there anything else I could feed him to help? Are peas even a good idea?
Didn't see this while typing..

Peas aren't meant for bettas, no nutritional value, and not ideal for their short GI tract. For a short term remedy, some say it works.. it's safe to use as a one time deal. But not for regular consumption for bettas. A lot of bettas don't eat it as they are insectivores/carnivores and other then processed foods, they only get vegetable type matter from the stomachs of their live foods... so only a betta who will eat anything and everything may eat it, but normally, not many will.

Epsom salt is a natural laxative for them, and it's safe to use.
Plain Epsom Salt from a pharmacy, or places such as Walmart with a pharmacy.. relatively cheap. Make sure there are no dyes or perfumes in it.

QT him in a small tank or container that is clean yet soap residue free..
if it's under a gallon, you can use a gallon jug to premix the solution together in along with water conditioner.

1 tsp per gallon of the Epsom, make sure to dissolve it before adding your guy in it.. what I personally do when I had to do this with a new CT once is I mix it in a glass, a little bit of tap water, a drop of water conditioner... and then slowly add that in the 1 gallon qt tank he was in little by little over a period of 30 minutes- I don't have a water gallon jug handy, so improvised since had a gallon tank.
You will want to daily 100% water changes, re-adding in the mix each time.
Once you see him go to the bathroom, give him one more day and then release him back into the tank.
Hold off food for 3-4 days while in the solution.

If for some reason he has not gone to the bathroom for a few days while in the Epsom Salt, and with no food intake, yet still has a rounded belly.. may have to look at other underlying issues.

Thanks Fishy- it's just easier on their digestive system to process smaller meals, and with multiple meals of at least twice, they get their daily nutrition met. If you wish to fast them, I actually fast them periodically.. I don't feed them their dinner at night, and I don't feed them their breakfast- that way they go from breakfast one day, to dinner the next (24+ hrs) and still have eaten that day.
I like to spoil mine with food lol

Last edited by Myates; 02-25-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:29 PM   #15 
amaru45

Ok so I don't see any poop after getting home from work today. I picked up epsom salt, aquarium sponges for the filter baffle, water test kit, gravel vacuum, Omega One Betta Buffet, and New Life Spectrum Betta Formula.
Water Test Results:
Nitrate-0
Nitrite-0
Total Hardness-0
Chlorine-0
Alkalinity-120
pH-7

I was looking at tank heaters but they all say they keep the tank at 78, which is right where mine is. Idk if there is an adjustable one available somewhere. I'm going to add the epsom salt tonight *crosses fingers*
amaru45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:36 AM   #16 
amaru45

Okay, the filter is now baffled nicely. The current is basically gone now. He is quarantined in his bowl with the epsom salt and water conditioner. I tried to feed him one pellet of the New Life Spectrum, but he wanted nothing to do with it. He's been staying in basically the exact same spot the last couple days. Just treading water at the top and in the front of the tank. And to the question I missed earlier, there are 4 plants in the tank which are all fake. Now I guess I just wait........
Old 02-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #17 
amaru45

First day in the epsom salt solution.... Does this look like 2 small poops? The bowl was completely empty before
http://www.bettafish.com/album.php?a...ictureid=22724
Old 02-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #18 
amaru45

Old 02-28-2012, 08:59 PM   #19 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
First day in the epsom salt solution.... Does this look like 2 small poops? The bowl was completely empty before
http://www.bettafish.com/album.php?a...ictureid=22724
I think those are poos....I maybe wrong tho.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:44 PM   #20 
amaru45

I can't tell either. I think they are. I've also started to cycle the tank while he's in the bowl. I'd prefer to not do the "fish in" method.