Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2012, 04:21 AM   #1 
SacredSeaMonkey

New Betta, new tank, completely new fish owner, HELP!

I just got a beta and the fishy necessities from Wal-Mart today. Well I went back to the store to exchange a 1 gallon "Betta" bowl for a 5 gallon tank with a filter. I am completely new to owning fish and I don't want to harm my Betta in any way. I didn't know about fish less cycling of the tanks or else it will harm him! I also got a Betta care kit but it says it is safe to use in any size bowl UP TO two gallons. Ugh.

Well anyways, he is still in his Wal-Mart cup, for how long he has been in it prior to the purchase I do not know. No associate was in this area (go figure, nothing new) to help me. How long can he survive in this cup and do I feed him while this tank "cycles"? please help. any and all info will help greatly!!!
SacredSeaMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:45 AM   #2 
freemike

I was in this position about a month ago. I highly recommend if you are going to cycle your tank you do it the fishless cycle method and get a smaller tank for the time being. I imagine you have a 25 or 50 watt heater. For 10ish bucks at petco you can get a medium (1.75 gallon) or large (3.3) pet keeper. Keep your Betta in one of these with the heater. and do bi-weekly water changes 100% on the medium everytime and 50% and 100% on the 3+ gallon one.

Like you I had no clue about cycling a tank with or with out fish. But I was hard headed and tried to do it with the fish in the tank. I was doing daily water changes and monitoring levels very closely trying my best to keep ammonia .25 ppm. Both of their fins started splitting and color dulling. Joe in particular must be very sensitive to the ammonia and almost died. It took him being sucked to the filter barely able to free his self before I figured it just wasn't working. I'm still scared of losing him even though I have him in a heated hospital tank with aq salt treatments daily. He barely eats and still is lethargic the only thing is his fins and color are getting better. Bettas do not handle being in a cycling tank well at all. IMO if you put your fish in that tank and try to cycle it you are probably going to wind up with a fish in a hospital tank. I've only had two fish but so far 100% of them have wound up in hospital tanks with split fins and one that barely eats and is lethargic for most of the day.

My hospital tanks are the medium petco carriers with tetra 50 watt preset heaters.
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:05 AM   #3 
Gen2387

First of all welcome and congrats on getting a nice big tank for your new fishy!!!! Even though a cycled tank is better (you'll have to change less water on your water changes) it is not ABSOLUTELY necessary. I've had a 5 gallon bafore that wasn't cycled and my betta lived happy for years as long as you keep up with the water changes. Good bacteria will eventually develop in your tank. Just don't do a 100% water change. For a filtered 5 gallon, I suggest one 50% water change a week. Is it heated? Because a heater is a must. The temp needs to be kept between 76 and 80 so you'll also need a thermometer but those are cheap. Maybe 2 or 3$.

Good luck!!!!!
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:52 AM   #4 
SacredSeaMonkey

Thank you! :), it's actually my son's fishy but shhhh lol. I just got done putting it together, and want the best I can give it. He is still in the Wal-Mart cup since this last Friday (Feb 24th). I want to feed him a little but I don't know if I should while he is in the cup. I'm gonna give the tank a day or so to run. It has a filter but no heater yet, got a thermometer and right now it is slightly above 80 degrees. trying to figure out how to upload photos on here actually lol
Old 02-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #5 
Gen2387

That's good to let it run a couple of days and you can still feed the fish while he's in the cup just make sure to change the water every day while he's in there.
Good thing you have a thermometer, next step will be your heater. Good luck!!
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #6 
popcornprincess

dont let your water get above 83 or below 75. 77-80 is perfect. what type of betta is he? i would love to hear about him. keep his wal-mart cup next to the tank so he can see it and dont forget to float his cup in the tank (while the filter is off) so he can get used to the temp. Temperature can come as a shock to a betta and shock can kill. So be carful!
popcornprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:00 PM   #7 
SacredSeaMonkey

@Gen: How do I change the water in his cup? Do I buy a gallon or two of water to house tap water at room temp? Yea I'm completely new to this scene lol.

@Popcorn: He is a Crowntail, I brought him out of the closet to view his new aquarium and instead of just laying around the bottom looking morose, he started swimming around the cup with so much energy and trying to push thru the cup to get to the aquarium. Poor guy, but he has to wait a little longer to be in his home. I keep him confined in the closet for his safety, I have a cat and a toddler who are very curious.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #8 
SacredSeaMonkey

I kept coming back to this Betta (now my fishy obviously :) ), no matter what other betta I looked at..I kept coming back to him so I went ahead and just snatched him up from the deplorable conditions they have the poor Betta's in. I have personally saw a dead Betta (at that store no less!) floating in the cup and for how long it has been there I have no clue, but a few days or so past and I went back and that dead Betta was still there. v_v

Old 02-27-2012, 01:42 AM   #9 
djembekah

he's pretty :)
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:54 AM   #10 
FishyFishy89

Congrats on the new fishy!! I can't really tell without my glasses but he looks like a twin to my Spike.
http://www.bettafish.com/picture.php...ictureid=22493
http://www.bettafish.com/picture.php...ictureid=22577

Most bettas love having a big home. They love to explore everything and swim everywhere. Make sure you provide plenty of hiding places. And if the water flow bothers him go ahead and make a baffle.
I used this process to make my baffle: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139
Other users perfer using a sponge to baffle their filters. I've yet to figure that out, so currently the bottle will stay.
Changing the water in that small cup maybe a bit difficult. If you can, pour a little bit out/use your hand to block the fishy from falling out. Then get a separate cup, fill it with some tap water, add dechlorinator(i cannot spell tonight), let it sit and get the same temp as his current water/slowly pour into his cup.

We're always here to give a helping hand :)
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote