Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2012, 01:50 PM   #1 
JBosley

Transhipping

Hey!
So I found a few fish I like on Aquabid, but I am in Canada and therefore will have to use a transhipper I have NO idea how this works! Or the cost of it all...

So could someone explain to me how transhipping works? I would love to know! Because I would love to get one of the gorgeous fish on Aquabid.
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:34 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

This is straight from a Thai breeder auction page:
"
The explanation by Linda Olson (USA transhipper)
I am Linda Olson, Thai Seller 's import agent and transhipper.A little explanation might me helpful.We combine orders and ship every 2 weeks because by law live animals must be shipped through a licensed import agent,clear US Customs and must be inspected by the US. Dept. of Fish & Wildlife. All this must happen at a major airport and costs quite a bit of money. I take care of all the legalities and ship them on to you.We can keep costs down by combining orders and spreading those costs around over more fish.
You will need to pay Seller in Thailand the price of each fish + $5 per fish to cover his export expenses and shipping costs from Bangkok to Denver.
All Fish will be securely double-bagged and packed in an insulated box, and will be shipped only by next day service. This will be the customer's choice of Express Mail for ZIP codes where they offer next day service, DHL next day which we can offer for just $5 more than the Express Mail rate for most ZIP codes, or Federal Express Next day service.
Import fees are $0.60 per fish
handling for all bettas is $2 per fish
the insullated shiping box is $5
Delivery rates will differ depending on which service is used, but will
range from $20 up
I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, please contact me any time.
Phone number:(720) 999 1261 and (303)404-9152
Email:linda_9555@msn.com
Linda Olson
Denver, Colorado
USA

Also, here's a Link to another US transhipper's info page: http://bellsouthpwp.net/J/e/JennViv/...taTranship.htm
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:46 PM   #3 
JBosley

Thanks! I think I'll stick to more local fish....sounds like a whole lot of work.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:02 PM   #4 
vilmarisv

It's not a lot of work. Basically you pay 2 people then sit back and wait for your fish.
Martinsmommy, who's a us seller, has 4 listed on AB... would grab them all if I wasn't going to do a spawn really soon.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:07 PM   #5 
JBosley

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
It's not a lot of work. Basically you pay 2 people then sit back and wait for your fish.
Martinsmommy, who's a us seller, has 4 listed on AB... would grab them all if I wasn't going to do a spawn really soon.
Hmmm.... well then I will definitely consider getting a fish off Aquabid Maybe I`ll check out when they have
Old 02-25-2012, 05:07 PM   #6 
JBosley

Do you know their username on Aquabid?
Old 02-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #7 
Jrf456

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
If it is a US shipper, does it not cost as much? (I live in Florida)

Let's say you buy a $25 fish, what else would be added as far as shipping & all other charges and what would be the estimated total?

Sorry to hog your thread.. Rofl.
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #8 
JBosley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrf456 View Post
If it is a US shipper, does it not cost as much? (I live in Florida)

Let's say you buy a $25 fish, what else would be added as far as shipping & all other charges and what would be the estimated total?

Sorry to hog your thread.. Rofl.
No problem! I'd love to know as well... really hesitant to get a fish that is so far away, such as Thailand Plus I'd love to support breeders in North America!
Old 02-25-2012, 06:32 PM   #9 
nel3

theres one trsndhipper in Montreal. i paid $20 (not including $ for fish) to get mine to Montreal. i picked mine up personally fron David Nguyen. some Canadian members here paid a good amount $50+ to send the fish the the far ends of Canada. you should ask the desired Canadian transhipper how much it'll be for sending a Thai fish to your location.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:53 PM   #10 
Pitluvs

Please keep in mind you cannot buy fish from USA if you are Canadian. They won't allow it across the boarder :) You can however buy from Thailand and use a Canadian Transshipper. The one you would be looking to use is David: Montreal, Quebec / wild-betta@hotmail.com / Phone: 514 270 8095

Basically how it goes is you buy your fish on Aquabid. When the sale is final, you pay the price of the fish plus a small shipping fee to cover shipping from overseas to Montreal (they usually ship over quite a few fish at once every 2 weeks, your shipping fee covers your fishes portion of the shipping cost). You pay this to the seller. You notify the seller you are using David in Canada as a trans shipper. Then you contact David by email or number and let him know that you have bought a fish from So and So, and to expect it in the next shipment. You then work out shipping arrangements with David, and pay him the costs of shipping the fish from Montreal to you :)

You can of course email David first and ask for quotes before you buy the fish, so you can make sure you can afford it. I would say the average for Canadians buying a fish over seas is about $60-$100 per fish (since using the fastest method of shipping is preferred in our cold weather). It's quite expensive for one fish, but many buy multiple fish at once to make the cost worth while since David can ship up to 6 fish for one flat rate.

There is a breeder in Montreal, Canada Bettas. It's kind of a crappy time of year to be shipping Bettas though.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote