Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2012, 02:22 AM   #1 
RedFynn21

Fin looks like it's been through a paper shredder!

Woke up this morning to find Fynn's tail fin all..."shredded." I'm guessing it's tail-biting? I can't tell. I looked all over his tank carefully, and couldn't find any chunks of his tail in the tank decor...or in the filter. At a loss here. I took out the one plastic plant that was in there just to be on the safe side. (Never had a problem before, but who knows?) The filter is baffled, so IDT it's that. Fins were just getting so long, and pretty! Le sigh. I appreciate any input and help.
Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 Gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78-80 F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.
Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets. Aqueon Betta food.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice, daily: 2-3 pellets.
Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 1- 50% change, and 1- 100% change.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra AquaSafe.
Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Haven't tested it.
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:
Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Tail fin appears shredded and ripped into jagged pieces.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Nothing. That's the thing. Swims as normal, normal appetite. Not at all lethargic.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning when I fed him.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Nothing yet.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No. Super healthy.
How old is your fish (approximately)?No idea. Have had him 3 months...

Last edited by RedFynn21; 02-25-2012 at 02:27 AM.
RedFynn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:43 AM   #2 
SwimmR

Yeah, it does look like tail biting. You'll probably never catch him doing it or find any pieces - they always do it when you're not looking and consume the evidence!
Some people have had luck with adding more stimulation, sometimes less. Just keep trying things until (hopefully) you find a solution. My tailbiter did not like the "more stimulation" routine, so then I put him by himself in a quiet room and didn't disturb him except to feed him & change his water. That worked for a few weeks, but one day when his tail was starting to look decent, he chomped it again while we were out. So now I'm experimenting with the same quiet room, but added a betta buddy next door for him to look at all day (neither of these two seem to flare much, and now that they've been seeing each other for a few weeks they don't respond at all to each other, so I'm hoping it'll provide just enough distraction for Curly to forget about his tail). So far (knock on wood), it's working - his tail is growing back nicely. But it could go at any moment... Here's a picture of Curly's tail when he chomps it (this isn't even at it's worst - he's nipped it down to practically a stub before)
Attached Images

SwimmR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:28 AM   #3 
Silverfang

My condolences, you have a tail biter. My boy started, and every so often he'll just massacre his tail. You can try switching around his decor, or removing any stress inducing objects.

IF he's a chronic, you might not be able to stop him. Just keep his water extra clean and prevent infection and rot.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:02 PM   #4 
RedFynn21

Thanks guys! I definately agree--tailbiting. Woke up this morning to find he had gnawed off even more of his tail. O.o I have to do a water change today, so I'll switch stuff around, see if it helps. You think if I stuck him in my newly cleaned up 10 gal, it would help? Or would it make it worse? He always seems to be swimming end, to end in the Mini-Bow...like he doesn't have enough room. Who knows? lol
RedFynn21 is offline   Reply With Quote