Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2012, 08:40 AM   #1 
newarkhiphop

Exterior heating pads

anybody know of any? like i pad you can place a small 1.5-2G on top of?

just thinking of some ideas
newarkhiphop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:57 AM   #2 
SwimmR

I know I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I use an ordinary heating pad underneath my bowls. My fish are incredibly happy & healthy. I set the pad on "low" and keep a thermometer in the bowls to make sure it stays around 78-80F. (They can tolerate 74-86 easily, but seem to prefer more around 78-80). You just have to be sure to get the kind that doesn't have the "auto off" after 2 hrs. I couldn't find that type in any store, but they are $12.99 on Amazon.com (Sunbeam brand).
Good luck, and keep in mind when you read all the other comments that are going to come in after this that there are many different opinions/methods of keeping fish, and they can all be "right" for different people. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
SwimmR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:07 AM   #3 
styggian

A 25w adjustable, submersible heater is a lot safer and accurate, without the risk of electric shock should it somehow become covered in water.

I won't flame, but I think a heating pad is a foolish idea. I just purchased a 25w and a 75/100w (don't recall offhand, but it's for 20-30gal tanks, temporarily in my sorority, their old heater in a 6gal boy tank, until I can set up a breeding tub, at which time I will purchase a second 25w or 100w). The smaller was 15 dollars, the larger was 23 dollars.

I would absolutely not advise an external heating pad. They can burn people as it is, I would not trust it for my fish. Some people, like the poster above, may use them, but I believe it's an accident waiting to happen.
styggian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #4 
newarkhiphop

thanks for the info, i currently have 3 bettas, they have all have "normal " heaters , was just wondering if having a exterior heating pad was even possible
newarkhiphop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:56 AM   #5 
TonyK

I have used heating pads on my reptiles and never had a problem. If you, use a heating make sure to keep large amounts of water off of it. And, definitely keep an eye out for the temps.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #6 
SwimmR

Certainly any man-made heating element could malfunction, whether an external heating pad or a submersible heater. You can find all over this forum people whose submersible tank heaters have malfunctioned and their fish have died. I don't think an external heating pad is at any higher or lower risk of this, in fact since the pad/cord is not moved at all during water changes I think it is safer than taking a heater in & out twice a week. Now if all you have is one tank, then certainly a submersible heater is the way to go. But, if you have 7 individual containers like I do, I can put 3 on each king-sized pad and 2 on the regular sized ones. Also, getting small amounts of water on them is no problem since they are completely sealed and enclosed in a waterproof cover.
SwimmR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:20 AM   #7 
styggian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimmR View Post
Certainly any man-made heating element could malfunction, whether an external heating pad or a submersible heater. You can find all over this forum people whose submersible tank heaters have malfunctioned and their fish have died. I don't think an external heating pad is at any higher or lower risk of this, in fact since the pad/cord is not moved at all during water changes I think it is safer than taking a heater in & out twice a week. Now if all you have is one tank, then certainly a submersible heater is the way to go. But, if you have 7 individual containers like I do, I can put 3 on each king-sized pad and 2 on the regular sized ones. Also, getting small amounts of water on them is no problem since they are completely sealed and enclosed in a waterproof cover.
Of course anything can malfunction. That isn't the point. An item not designed for being around water has a higher risk from getting wet than something that is designed to be in water. You never know what can happen. Dropping the water bucket, a tank or bowl breaking, even if you think it's not possible, could have much more severe consequences from a heating pad than from a tank heater. Waterproof does not mean watertight. I now have 4 tanks, and each has a submersible heater. I would never set any of them on a heating pad, especially after my 10gal started leaking.
styggian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #8 
TonyK

I even thought of an idea where if I had multiple tanks ( Kritter Keepers, 2 gallon bowls) building a rack system and running heat tape underneath the tanks connected to a thermostat.

SwimmR it would definitely work.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:43 PM   #9 
jasonh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by newarkhiphop View Post
anybody know of any? like i pad you can place a small 1.5-2G on top of?

just thinking of some ideas
please just get a small submersible heater with a thermostat.
also using a regular heating pad with a fish tank is a fire hazard.
jasonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:57 PM   #10 
freemike

I think either would work personally and run about the same risk of failure/malfunction. I can think of lot of bad reasons to use a submersible heater just as well as a pad heater. The thing is getting a set up that keeps the water temp preferably 78-82*and stable. If heater pads work for you then buy them and if a submersible works for you then buy them. There is more than one way to skin a cat as the saying goes. Get a thermometer no matter which one you go with though. That way if something goes awry you can be alerted before your fish let you know that they are cold.
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote