Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2012, 01:32 AM   #1 
Karebear13

Puppy chews everything!!!

Anyone have any suggestions for a puppy that chews everything! My parents are getting irritated with the new puppy. Im not at home to control her! We need something indestructible that she can bite and keep herself preoccupied!
Any suggestions?
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:52 AM   #2 
lovehatepassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karebear13 View Post
Anyone have any suggestions for a puppy that chews everything! My parents are getting irritated with the new puppy. Im not at home to control her! We need something indestructible that she can bite and keep herself preoccupied!
Any suggestions?
kong chew toys work very well. even a pit bull or boxer has a very hard time destroying them. other option would be kennel train her so she stays in a kennel when no one is home to watch her.
lovehatepassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:23 AM   #3 
Aus

Those little doorway-barriers people use to keep toddlers in or out of rooms are really good for limiting the range of unsupervised puppies.

I agree about the Kong toys - they really are near-indestructible (my housemate's Staffie has only just dented a year-old black Kong) and if he's only ever encouraged to chew certain things, he will learn not to chomp on anything else. But that training requires people to be present - puppies have the attention span of very small children as far as remembering their 'lessons' go.

Limiting his ability to access things you don't want chewed, giving him a room with nothing in it you don't want chewed, with enough space to romp safely in, and providing him with chewtoys (not bones if he's not supervised, puppies are great at bone splinter disasters) will all really help in getting past this teething stage.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:05 AM   #4 
Aus

Here's a great site that offers a few other suggestions:

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/pupbite1.html

Except I'd disagree on giving him old shoes, how can a puppy be expected to know what any particular shoe is worth....

I think this site is better:

http://www.inch.com/~dogs/chewing.html

I've used lengths of split pvc pipe to protect electrical cords, smeared with citrus oil. None of my pups ever went near them.

How old/ what breed is he?
Old 02-26-2012, 07:53 AM   #5 
SeaHorse
TFK Moderator

We have had many pups over the years and either crate trained them, or they were ALWAYS corralled in an area safe for them with baby gates. Usually the kitchen where the only thing that could have gotten damage was chair legs and we have never had a pup chew those thankfully, tho some do.
Find a scent the dog dislikes, be it lemon or orange or mint, vinegar.... something it visibly turns it's nose up and backs away from and dilute with water and spray that on things. This technique is used for blind dogs to stop them from crossing doorways down stairs.
If you can afford it, invest in a couple of gates that get mounted and then you can open and close without removing them. You will use them for several/many months. It's hard to climb over permanent ones lol. Good Luck!!
SeaHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #6 
Karebear13

I will try the Kong toys :) Yeah I wouldn't use an old shoe. She would end up eating all my shoes haha
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #7 
Zappity

Yeah, try the kong. My mutt could destroy ANYTHING, even if it said 'indestructible', but she couldn't destroy the Kong. Neither could our Tibetan Mastiff, and he was HUGE.
Try filling it with fun things for her to find, like, peanut butter, treats, food, ect. Then freeze it overnight. That'll keep her busy allll day.
Zappity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:44 PM   #8 
Aus

+1 that. And I never thought to freeze the kong - what a great idea!
Old 02-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #9 
FishyFishy89

Crate train her
pick up such things like shoes, clothes and small things she likes to chew
give her mental stimuli toys.
I use can dog food in my pug's kong/freeze it. My pug also loves veggies so I've mashed fresh veggies into a pulp and froze that in the kong. I also put her ong in the dishwasher every night for a good cleaning.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #10 
Bombalurina

Ha! Your puny dogs quail before the might of my titanic rats!
They've destroyed many a dog kong. :p

Sorry, that was irrelevant in terms of dog-training.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote