Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #21 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover View Post
Plenty of toys and yes, Kong toys are excellent! I agree with the others here :) Its been so long since I had a puppy around. Just keep her in one or two rooms that are puppy and "baby proof" if possible. And yes, plenty of exercise before you leave and as soon as you get back. When she chews, you can firmly say "NO,Bad dog!" and put her in a room. She will get the idea.
Yelling at the dog does nothing but confuse the dog to add further, putting the dog in a certain room the dog will begin to associate this room with a negative view and thus may develop bad habits like barking, scratching the door, chewing inappropriate objects, etc. Also, just to add, never EVER spank your dog, that as well not only hurts the dog but confuses them.
To correct the dog I will give you an example:
Say your puppy is chewing or playing with a couch pillow. you have 3 seconds to react. After those 3 seconds the dog will not understand why you are correcting the dog.
So anyhow, puppy is doing whatever to the couch pillow. Be firm with your voice, not loud, but firm and disapproving. Tell the puppy "no" and put an appropriate toy infront of the puppy and shake it playfully. Once the puppy plays with that toy happily (not high pitch like, but very approving) tell the puppy "yes" and keep playing with that puppy with that toy for a few more moments.
Doing this the puppy with realize it will get negative and unwanted reaction from playing with the couch pillow (or whatever the puppy is doing) and when playing or doing a correct behavior the puppy will get positive and rewarding behavior that it will keep wanting.
Repeat when necessary.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:09 PM   #22 
animallover

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
Yelling at the dog does nothing but confuse the dog to add further, putting the dog in a certain room the dog will begin to associate this room with a negative view and thus may develop bad habits like barking, scratching the door, chewing inappropriate objects, etc. Also, just to add, never EVER spank your dog, that as well not only hurts the dog but confuses them.
To correct the dog I will give you an example:
Say your puppy is chewing or playing with a couch pillow. you have 3 seconds to react. After those 3 seconds the dog will not understand why you are correcting the dog.
So anyhow, puppy is doing whatever to the couch pillow. Be firm with your voice, not loud, but firm and disapproving. Tell the puppy "no" and put an appropriate toy infront of the puppy and shake it playfully. Once the puppy plays with that toy happily (not high pitch like, but very approving) tell the puppy "yes" and keep playing with that puppy with that toy for a few more moments.
Doing this the puppy with realize it will get negative and unwanted reaction from playing with the couch pillow (or whatever the puppy is doing) and when playing or doing a correct behavior the puppy will get positive and rewarding behavior that it will keep wanting.
Repeat when necessary.
I wasn't saying to yell at the the dog nor did I ever say to spank the dog I am not that type of person. I have been raised with many breeds, types of characters, took my animals as did my entire family to a top Veterinarian in my city who is on the City Health District Board and President of the Veterinary Medical Association etc. My family also belongs to PETA,Humane Society, and signs petitions against animals abuse. I had a German Shepard mix that was extremely destructive as a puppy. I did just as you said which for this particular dog did not work, I talked to my vet as well as the breeder that my grandmother got her dogs from. The next choice was I repeat "Plenty of toys and yes, Kong toys are excellent! I agree with the others here :) Its been so long since I had a puppy around. Just keep her in one or two rooms that are puppy and "baby proof" if possible. And yes, plenty of exercise before you leave and as soon as you get back. When she chews, you can firmly say "NO,Bad dog!" and put her in a room. She will get the idea.

I did not say yell or loud, I said firmly-just as you said "Be firm with your voice, not loud, but firm and disapproving." We just worded it different.

On the one or two rooms, what I was saying was to have one or two rooms that are completely puppy or baby proof to remove for a few minutes after the occurrence. I should have mentioned how long,my apologies. I did this my dog learned quickly. I understand your point. My dogs/cats rabbits etc had full range of the house including bathrooms, on our beds etc. But if we could not be there during the training process, go to store,go to school, work etc, this is what we did-only if they were non stop destructive. My animals never had a negative reaction or feelings of the rooms. Yes, maybe someone elses dog might have. When we took in our stray cat for good, we had to divide the house in the beginning to make sure he wouldn't attack our dogs. The dogs were fine. He was a tough little guy who beat up lose dogs in the street. He and our dogs ended up being fine together after getting them settled. :) Some can argue about crate training as well, which is a smaller confinement. I have never used this method nor do I know how too.

I hope I cleared up any bad thoughts of how I raise my pets who are actually family to me. I am not trying to argue, and sorry if I seem a little touchy. I love my animals dearly and would never harm them in anyway. I hope we are ok, and next time I will be more clear on my thoughts and process. Im glad to see that you love animals as much as I do Sorry so long. All is good :)
animallover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #23 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover View Post
I wasn't saying to yell at the the dog nor did I ever say to spank the dog I am not that type of person. I have been raised with many breeds, types of characters, took my animals as did my entire family to a top Veterinarian in my city who is on the City Health District Board and President of the Veterinary Medical Association etc. My family also belongs to PETA,Humane Society, and signs petitions against animals abuse. I had a German Shepard mix that was extremely destructive as a puppy. I did just as you said which for this particular dog did not work, I talked to my vet as well as the breeder that my grandmother got her dogs from. The next choice was I repeat "Plenty of toys and yes, Kong toys are excellent! I agree with the others here :) Its been so long since I had a puppy around. Just keep her in one or two rooms that are puppy and "baby proof" if possible. And yes, plenty of exercise before you leave and as soon as you get back. When she chews, you can firmly say "NO,Bad dog!" and put her in a room. She will get the idea.

I did not say yell or loud, I said firmly-just as you said "Be firm with your voice, not loud, but firm and disapproving." We just worded it different.

On the one or two rooms, what I was saying was to have one or two rooms that are completely puppy or baby proof to remove for a few minutes after the occurrence. I should have mentioned how long,my apologies. I did this my dog learned quickly. I understand your point. My dogs/cats rabbits etc had full range of the house including bathrooms, on our beds etc. But if we could not be there during the training process, go to store,go to school, work etc, this is what we did-only if they were non stop destructive. My animals never had a negative reaction or feelings of the rooms. Yes, maybe someone elses dog might have. When we took in our stray cat for good, we had to divide the house in the beginning to make sure he wouldn't attack our dogs. The dogs were fine. He was a tough little guy who beat up lose dogs in the street. He and our dogs ended up being fine together after getting them settled. :) Some can argue about crate training as well, which is a smaller confinement. I have never used this method nor do I know how too.

I hope I cleared up any bad thoughts of how I raise my pets who are actually family to me. I am not trying to argue, and sorry if I seem a little touchy. I love my animals dearly and would never harm them in anyway. I hope we are ok, and next time I will be more clear on my thoughts and process. Im glad to see that you love animals as much as I do Sorry so long. All is good :)
I'm sorry you took the confusion that I said you were yelling at the dog. But typing in captial letters and adding an "!" makes it look like your yelling. That and I never said you told her to spank the dog. I said I was adding it to my comment. Not that I was telling you to not spank a dog.
Another tid bit, you don't need to add your background info.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #24 
animallover

I see your point on the capitalization and the !, I was wrong, I see that now. On my background info, I just wanted to let everyone know, that I do understand what I am doing, that's all. Sorry for any misunderstandings and you have always have given good advice. :)
animallover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:18 PM   #25 
Zappity

I wouldn't recommend any rope toys, since they can fall apart and end up in the dog's stomach, which ain't good. So try to stray away from them ;]
Zappity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:58 PM   #26 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappity View Post
I wouldn't recommend any rope toys, since they can fall apart and end up in the dog's stomach, which ain't good. So try to stray away from them ;]
Well for bigger and stronger dogs yes. But most little dogs rarely tear up such strong toys.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:55 PM   #27 
Tisia

my 16lb boston terrier loves undoing the knots on rope toys and then ripping them apart. there's not many toys she's allowed to play with unsupervised just because she's become so talented at finding ways to destroy them, lol
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:46 AM   #28 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisia View Post
my 16lb boston terrier loves undoing the knots on rope toys and then ripping them apart. there's not many toys she's allowed to play with unsupervised just because she's become so talented at finding ways to destroy them, lol
And your pup is one of the small percentage who can and will find a way to destroy toys. :)
Old 02-29-2012, 05:38 AM   #29 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Constant repetition of firmly saying no as a way to show you dispprove of auch behavior hekps. Gone were the days when my dogs entering.nearly a decade of age now outgrew that habit. Now I'm back to raising a puppy. For one entrring 5 mobths of age next week, she learns commands quickly. She's a cocker spaniel. A golden retriever pup is coming this March. This will be fun.lol
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #30 
Karebear13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin View Post
Constant repetition of firmly saying no as a way to show you dispprove of auch behavior hekps. Gone were the days when my dogs entering.nearly a decade of age now outgrew that habit. Now I'm back to raising a puppy. For one entrring 5 mobths of age next week, she learns commands quickly. She's a cocker spaniel. A golden retriever pup is coming this March. This will be fun.lol
I know we haven't had a puppy in a long time. My Shih tzu is about 10 years and my mix is about 6 but we haven't had her that long either. We weren't expecting to get a third dog especially a puppy. It happened very spontaneously but glad we rescued her. she is much happier in our hands. Before she was scared of humans poor thing
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote