Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #1 
DerTrommler

new to bettas

I have been doing some research on bettas and finally decided to get one. Haven't taken the little guy home yet, but I do have his tank setup. Its a five gal, filtered, heated, treated water, silk plants and lit. Is there anything else you'd recommend? The research I've done on this site seemed to say that was most of it. (still need to baffle the filter). Also I have a ton of tiny bubbles on all sides of the glass and on my plants and rocks. How do I get rid of the bubbles for a clear view of my betta?

Thanks I'm advance guys! =)
DerTrommler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #2 
kfryman

Getting rid of the bubbles is easy, just take or hand or a net and just sip across the area with the bubbles.

Sounds like your set, just to baffle the filter. What kind of pellets are you feeding?
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:25 PM   #3 
DerTrommler

Thanks for the quick reply. I just baffled the filter and the water is definitely much calmer. I hope he never gets stuck in there tho or cuts his fins on the edge of the bottle!

Right now I just have freeze dried blood worms
what do you recommend before I get him tomorrow?
Old 02-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #4 
JBosley

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerTrommler View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. I just baffled the filter and the water is definitely much calmer. I hope he never gets stuck in there tho or cuts his fins on the edge of the bottle!

Right now I just have freeze dried blood worms
what do you recommend before I get him tomorrow?
I'd recommend some pellets! Personally my guy loves Omega One Buffet pellets Can't wait to see pictures of your new guy!
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #5 
DerTrommler

Awesome I'll definitely check that out. And ill be sure to post some pics. I found one I liked a couple days ago at a local pet store and he's the same coloration as the one in your avatar. Love the black and blue =)
Old 02-25-2012, 05:28 AM   #6 
jasonh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerTrommler View Post
I have been doing some research on bettas and finally decided to get one. Haven't taken the little guy home yet, but I do have his tank setup. Its a five gal, filtered, heated, treated water, silk plants and lit. Is there anything else you'd recommend? The research I've done on this site seemed to say that was most of it. (still need to baffle the filter). Also I have a ton of tiny bubbles on all sides of the glass and on my plants and rocks. How do I get rid of the bubbles for a clear view of my betta?

Thanks I'm advance guys! =)
those bubbles will go away in one day.
jasonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:38 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

Consider doing a fishless cycle before getting your fish.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:02 PM   #8 
freemike

It's not absolutely necessary to cycle the tank. It will save you a lot of maintenance and water. If not you have to be willing to keep up with the water changes. If you want to do the cycle; while you are getting your buddy tomorrow get a medium to large pet keeper and a small heater and do regular water changes on it while your big tank cycles. You'll have to watch a 5 gallon cycle more closely as the smaller the tank the harder it is to get the cycle moving and more vulnerable the cycle is to breaking down.
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:28 AM   #9 
Bombalurina

The only reason I suggest a fishless cycle is that a filtered 5 gallon will cycle itself anyway when a fish is added, but at the cost of additional work for the OP and stress for the fish.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #10 
DerTrommler

I actually did do a fishless cycle on my tank. I heard that was a good idea so thats why i got my tank the day before i got my fish. anyway brought him home yesterday and hes been super active! i tried to take a picture of him and his tank but he hasnt stayed still long enough for a good one lol let me know what you think of his setup! His name is Echo
Attached Images