Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #1 
Karebear13

Exclamation CAUTION Betta Hammock

I have noticed a lot of people have those leaf hammocks for their bettas. I just wanted to share that my roommate had one and inside the suction cup it started rusting. We only found out after there was rusty color water at the top of the tank. I would be cautious of these. She wasn't the only one that had this problem. My friend had the hammock too and she removed the suction cup and rust spilt out.

I found this thread too:
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...p/t-57831.html
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:34 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

It's actually quite easy to make one too rather than buy - for a fraction of the price. There are the plant weights (not made from metal, but is rather safe and bendeable) which you can use as a tie, a suction cup, and a metal-free leaf from dollar store plants. Soak the plant to make sure no dyes leak out, attach together and there ya go homemade, rust free
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #3 
djembekah

ooo i may make some hammocks now. thanks for thr rust warning!
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:14 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

I totally suggest making them :p so much better than "might happen" problems like karebear informed us of :)
Old 02-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #5 
aqua001

Thanks for the heads-up, everyone! I have this hammock in my tank and it had rust in it since forever.At first I thought it was dirt or something but after reading this+ the link I will remove it immediately and tell petsmart about this.
aqua001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #6 
Luimeril

someone on here had one slice their female's stomach open. x: it's horrid, and that's why i ripped the wire out of mine. Cup used it when he'd get floaty, to stay under the water.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

Yip rust is no good in a tank :o one of the AQUARIUM PLANTS I had was made with metal and it rusted. I removed it right when I saw rust. yuck! and someone's female got sliced open? ouch! poor thing.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #8 
CarmanDirda

I don't know who's smart idea it was to put material that rusts into water ornaments. I really think they just want money and nothing else these days.
CarmanDirda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:47 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Well I also saw handmade plants. They look cool. Except I recognize the fake baby's breath flower plant and the rocks from the dollar store. Why would I pay 10.00 for something I could make WITHOUT metal in it?

which reminds me... does hot glue actually still work underwater? or is it toxic as well...?
Old 02-24-2012, 02:52 PM   #10 
peachesxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
someone on here had one slice their female's stomach open. x: it's horrid
This, rusty water is gross enough but it is very easy for the material to degrade and for the wire to just come up out of it, and then impale your betta when he/she tries to lay on it

Honestly, you could make your own, but if you want to give your betta a leaf bed and can afford it, why not just buy an anubia or something and have it close to the surface? Another thing that works great for betta beds is java ferns (Adult or baby bits doesn't matter) with a bamboo stalk (not the leafy part just the stalk). You can use the stalk to hold up the java ferns and it creates a little betta cabana right under the surface. I made one for Shiloh and he loooves it, he always has a bubblenest there now, if anyone is confused and wants a pic let me know lol
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote