Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #1 
labloverl

Glowlight - ick???

I have one particular glowlight that has a white spot on the little bitty fin that sticks up before you get to his tail. It's been there for probably close to a week and hasn't gotten bigger. None of the other fish has any spots, and it's just the one on that one glowlight. What should I do?
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:30 PM   #2 
labloverl

Anyone have an idea? I'm getting a new fish soon, so I'm a little worried about it being ick.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #3 
Termato

Quote:
Originally Posted by labloverl View Post
I have one particular glowlight that has a white spot on the little bitty fin that sticks up before you get to his tail. It's been there for probably close to a week and hasn't gotten bigger. None of the other fish has any spots, and it's just the one on that one glowlight. What should I do?
Is he still swimming alright? Any pictures?
Termato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #4 
labloverl

Well, I'm no expert of fish movements, but he's not going sideways or anything like that.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #5 
Shirleythebetta

Best thing you can do is either see if he gets another or PM a moderator if no one else answers you. I can't really tell what is going on there because of bad eyesight. but I wouldn't add any more fish until someone with experience on here give you more advice. If he gets anymore spots its probably ich I do know that for sure. And Ich usually starts out on the fins like that. I am dealing with an ich outbreak in my non betta tank right now. If it is ich you can treat it but since they are tetras it makes it a little tricky. They are sensitive to ich meds they can die from them so def PM a moderator. Oldfishlady is probly the best I have seen yet at diagnosing diseases.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #6 
Byron

I wouldn't worry about that. I wouldn't even have seen whatever this is if you had not mentioned the adipose fin (that is the name of the small fin just before the caudal or tail fin).

I may have seen similar on my fish, but I'd have to see the fish itself before being certain. If it has been a week and no other spots are visible, it is not likely related to ich. Are any of the fish flashing? Flashing means swimming fast against a leaf, wood, rock or the substrate in an attempt to rub the gill area. Ich always first attacks the gills, and flashing might indicate ich even if no spots can be seen. I still don't think this spot is ich.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:19 PM   #7 
Shirleythebetta

That's good information Byron. Thanks. I didn't know it starts in the gills. What is the primary cause other than being contagious? I heard stress.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:30 PM   #8 
Byron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleythebetta View Post
That's good information Byron. Thanks. I didn't know it starts in the gills. What is the primary cause other than being contagious? I heard stress.
The only true cause of ich is stress. Healthy fish will almost always fight off ich, if exposed to it--and this happens more often than one might think. After all, ich is present in natural tropical waters but we never see fish covered with spots. I have had newly acquired fish now and then flash a bit at first, but spots don't appear so I don't treat. The fish will increase their slime coat which apparently prevents the parasite from getting through. But the gills are obviously more exposed. But if the fish is severely stressed by any one of several factors such as a sudden drop in temperature, fluctuating pH, fluctuating water conditions, being bullied by another fish, in the wrong water parameters, and of course being netted and brought home--it is then more likely to succumb to an attack.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:30 PM   #9 
labloverl

Thanks Byron! I'm about 90% sure that it was not there when I got it and that was about a month ago, so I was worried.

None of them are flashing, but they are chasing each other around a lot and spinning in circles with each other. I read somewhere that it was a mating thing for neons, and they all do it a lot! But no flashing.

Thanks again. I hope to get a betta real soon, but I was not about to if that was ich.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:45 PM   #10 
Shirleythebetta

Thanks for the explaination Byron. I learned quite a bit there. I appreciate it.